1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circulation and Flux

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    Here's my work: http://i.imgur.com/9ik31P5.png

I need confirmation that the vector fields I found for parts 1) and 2) are correct. I also need to figure out how to find the flux in part 2) when the problem doesn't give any boundaries to evaluate. For part 1), the answer can be found by concluding that the vector field F is conservative (zero circulation).

Thanks in advance,

Differentiate1

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

your answer for part 1) looks good to me. For part 2), I really don't understand the question. It says to imagine integral ##I## as a flux integral for a vector field ##F## but that doesn't make any sense, because integral ##I## is definitely a line integral, as you used it in part 1). The integral ##I## can't be both a line integral and a surface integral, so I don't know what is happening there.

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you can in fact relate a surface integral and a line integral along its closed boundary curve. Just think about the integral theorems of vector calculus :-).

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

hmm. That's true. But the thing that is being related is only the curve. In the question, there is no curve given. So there is nothing to relate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted