1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Circumference of a circle

1. Sep 15, 2016 #1
    I just have a little question that i have read in the book of Thomas/Finney Calculus 9th edition that the circumference of a circle is 2pi,i can be wrong obviously but wasn't it supposed to be 2*pi*radius of the circle?
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Both are correct if the radius r = 1. Can you scan the page in question and UPLOAD it?

4. Sep 15, 2016 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Most likely, they calculated the length of the curve ##y = \sqrt{1 - x^2}##. This is the unit circle with radius ##1## and thus the circumference is equal to ##2\pi##.

If they would have calculated the length of the curve ##y = \sqrt{r^2 - x^2}##, the circumference would be equal to ##2\pi r##. This is the circle through the origin with radius ##r##.

5. Sep 15, 2016 #4
    Oh, yes, thank you, they have said about the unit circle at first then said that it's circumference is 2pi. Sorry,I didn't notice . But thank you again, I was really confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted