1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circus performer oscillating

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    A 57.0 kg circus performer oscillates up and down at the end of a long elastic rope at a rate of once every 7.20 s. The elastic rope obeys Hooke's Law. By how much is the rope extended beyond its unloaded length when the performer hangs at rest

T=2pi* sqrt m/k
    kx=mg

7.2sec=2pi*sqrt 57/k, then sq. rt k= 2pi*sqrt 57/1.2 , I get k=4.2
    then I put k into the second equation to get x=133m which is the wrong answer- What am I doing incorrectly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Period is the number of oscillations in 1 second

so in 7.20 seconds there is 1 oscillation. How many oscillations in 1 second? That will give you T.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    Ok so that gives me 1oscillation in 7.2 sec which is 1/7.2=.139 , then the sq rot of k= 2pi*sqrt m/period which gives me a k=11.28. I plug that into the equation 57*9.8/11.28 and get x=49.5m which is still wrong? So Not sure where I am going wrong here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook