Citations of a particular paper

A Google Scholar search on the paper will also include citations to that paper.In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for databases or online resources that can provide citations for a specific scientific paper. The person is also interested in additional information and is new to this type of research. They have access to university internet resources and are open to seeking help from a librarian. Recommendations for Google Scholar and Web of Science are given.
diogenesNY
Does anyone have any recommendations for databases or other (presumably online) resources that I might use to determine citations of a particular scientific paper. That is, I wish to see not only how many times a particular paper was cited, but I would also, if possible, like to see when/where/by whom the paper was cited. Additional info is always good as well. I am a bit new to this sort of meta-research. :)

I have access to on campus University internet resources that should have necessary licences/subscriptions if that is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

diogenesNY

Physics news on Phys.org
A Google Scholar search on the paper will also include citations to that paper.

Beyond that, you can always approach a librarian for help in getting the citation index for that paper.

Zz.

Likes diogenesNY
Web of Science has a number of tools for citation analysis.

Likes diogenesNY
Cool, thanks. I am pretty sure that I have library access to that.

diogenesNY

1. What is a citation?

A citation is a reference to a source of information, typically in the form of a brief mention or quote within a larger work. In academic and scientific writing, citations are used to acknowledge and give credit to the original sources that have influenced or supported the ideas presented in the work.

2. Why are citations important in scientific papers?

Citations are important in scientific papers because they allow readers to easily trace the origins of the information presented, verify the accuracy and validity of the claims made, and explore related research on the topic. Citations also give credit to the authors of the original works, helping to prevent plagiarism and promote ethical writing practices.

3. How do I format citations in a scientific paper?

The specific format for citations may vary depending on the citation style used (e.g. APA, MLA, Chicago). However, in general, citations typically include the author's name, the title of the source, the date of publication, and the page numbers or other identifying information. It is important to use the correct citation style and follow the guidelines consistently throughout the paper.

4. Can I cite a paper that has been retracted?

In most cases, it is not appropriate to cite a paper that has been retracted. Retracted papers have been deemed unreliable or fraudulent and should not be used as a source of information. If a paper has been retracted, it is best to find an alternative source to support your argument.

5. How do I find the citations of a particular paper?

There are several ways to find the citations of a particular paper. You can search for the paper on academic databases or Google Scholar, which often provide a list of articles that have cited the paper. You can also check the reference list of a paper to see if the particular paper is cited. Additionally, you can use citation tracking tools or software to track the citations of a paper over time.