1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil engineering majors

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone! I am currently finishing up my physics and calc, and although it's been a little tough, I am determined to complete my studies. I don't know of any civil majors in this forum, however, I was hoping someone could share their experiences with me regarding the major. Thanks in advance :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hello, Civil engineering major here. Senior :cool: :tongue: . Anyway, i like it, it's a good overall career. It's challenging and it's fullfilling.

4. Apr 6, 2007 #3
    Hey Cyclovenom, what was your fav class? Most challenging?

5. Apr 6, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Another one here. :smile:

I'm currently "on" the third (of four) year, don't know how exactly that fits into American university education definitions.

I agree with Cyclovenom, it's fun and challenging. And a good career awaits, in general.

6. Apr 6, 2007 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I think junior.

Freshman is 1st year
    Sophomore 2nd year
    Junior 3rd year
    Senior 4th year

i think!.

Static is my favourite, and the most challenging? well it's hard to pick, they all had challenging projects, but if i was to say it'll between reinforced concrete II and highway design I.

7. Apr 6, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Btw Cyclovenom are you specialized in geotechincal engineering?

8. Apr 6, 2007 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

No, why?. I know it looks that way :redface: , i just find Geotechnical engineering very interesting, but i've only taken 3 courses on it. Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering(i'm taking this) and Geotechnical Exploration :shy: .

Radou, what area of civil eng do you like?

9. Apr 6, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Well, I find geotechnical engineering interesting too, amof I have been considering to choose that branch on the fourth year, but I'm simply more interested in structural analysis, so that's what I'll take, I guess.

I found Soil mechanics and Foundations design interesting too.

10. Apr 6, 2007 #9

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Great!, best of luck, radou.

In case you were wondering i haven't picked a specialization yet, but it's between transport and the other one you know :smile: .

11. Apr 6, 2007 #10
    Wow, I thought you were joking when you said that Reinforced Concrete II was your favorite class. Sure enough, my own school has that very class. :biggrin:

12. Apr 7, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

We have two semesters of Reinforced concrete I. Reinforce concrete II is obligatory for students who have chosen Structural analysis (i.e. "Constructions").

I'm taking the second semester of Reinforced concrete I right now, and it's okay, although I miss practical learning, i.e. sometimes it happens that we're analyzing some element, but we're not exactly sure how it really looks like, etc.

But I guess one catches up with these problems rapidly when one starts to work.

13. Apr 11, 2007 #12
    Civil Major Here. I have enjoyed it so far. Choosing Structures as my focus has been difficult. I seem to have the hardest time with my structual classes. I really haven't gotten a feel for the other focus areas yet but I will be very soon. I have had a few advisors tell me I should switch to Mechanical because I some how did better in my dynamics class than I did in my Mechanics of Materials classes. Although I really enjoy doing design work for buildings and bridges.

When I was much younger I thought about being a Mechanical Engineer because I wanted to be part of the design for automobiles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?