Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil Engineering

1. Jul 2, 2003 #1
    I am planning on majoring in Civil Engineering in my first four years of college. After I get a bachelor's I figured I would work for about 2 or 3 years and figure out what I really like in the field, then go back to school and major in that. I've heard bad stories about going to work and then back to school, so if you could please comment on that. Moreover, does anyone know the scope of specialization in Civil Engineering? I don't want to be stuck designing pipes for the water district for the rest of my life, as that could get boring. Thanks for your input.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not unheard of. However, for many people, it's hard to get back into the school mindset after being in the "real world". Plus, it will be hard going back to being poor once you have had a taste of a real salary (especially if you start accumulating debt). But, if that's what you want, then don't be afraid to do it. It's not a real problem.

A B.S. in engineering is a basic requirement. A M.S. is a nice bonus and would play well in your career. A PhD is pretty much unnecessary in engineering unless you plan to be a university professor or a super tech guru.

Off the top of my head...(main parts with sub-disciplines)...

Code (Text):

Structural/Architectural engineering
       Construction & Materials
    Transportation engineering
       Roads & bridges
       Traffic control
    Environmental (I have a Masters degree in this)
       Water Supply/Resources
       Water/Wastewater Treatment
       Hazardous Waste Management
       Solid Waste Management
       Air pollution control
    Urban Planning
    Maritime engineering
    Disaster Reduction
    Power Generation
    And there are specializations within those sub-disciplines too.

Anyway, don't worry about getting stuck designing pipes for the rest of your life. If you go that route, then you may do that for the first couple years, but then they'll move you on to other things and let the newbies (read: cheaper labor) do that work. It is often the case that engineers do technical work for a few years and then move into management.

An engineering degree will also give you flexibility to work in many different types of jobs. You may never see a drafting table, if that's what you want.

try checking out this website for a flavor (American Society of Civil Engineers)

good luck!
  4. Jul 2, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Aah... Go for something exciting ! Like aerospace engeneering !
    This way you'll stay excited even if you're unemployed !
  5. Jul 2, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*High fives drag*

"Would you like an ion drive with your fries? I know how they work, you know... just the fries? Okay then... You're missing out!"
  6. Jul 3, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

I love ion engines ! IBTs, HETs, FETs... I love'em all ! :smile:

btw, Enigma, would it be extremely rude to ask wether you're
    currently employed as an aerospace engeneer ?

Live long and prosper.
  7. Jul 3, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beware. I know a couple of guys who fell into the sewage business and got stuck. Early choices can have long term implications. As your career evolves, the network of people in your domain can have a large influence on the opportunities to be found. The specifics of a starting position may not be too important, but choosing a good direction is important. Many, many people fall into this trap - I'll do this for a while - and never get out.
  8. Jul 3, 2003 #7
    Ok, so I was talking to my cousin who's a civil engineer. It seems that for your bachelor's you get to choose around 3 electives that can gauge what kind of specialization you want to go into. Oh and I checked out that website, Phobos, thanks. I think I'll stay out of water, hehe - I like the look of urban planning ans structural engineering though. Bring on the enviro activists!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?