1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil engineering

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Hello, I posted this on the engineering thread but it hasn't gotten much attention. I just wanted to know if anyone has any comments, good or bad on civil engineering as a college major or even a career for that matter. Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

4. Nov 25, 2004 #3
    I was a civil engineering major for two years before I changed my major to physics. My experience was that, compared to physics, civil engineering:
    1. Had a less intellegent base of students (which is not to say the field isn't challanging)
    2. Was a lot easier than physics (obviously, this has something to do with no. 1)
    3. Trained you to do very low-level work...not think about how to solve problems on your own.

In general, the reason I changed my major to physics was that I was bored with my classes in CE. If it interests you, however, go for it. There are plenty of very difficult problems to solve in CE in structural, geotechnical, environmental, and trasportation.

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Civil engineering is a nice career if you want to think at your job and still have regular 9 to 5 type hours. Jobs are hard to find though outside of big cities, and even there, it takes a VERY long time to advance because the more senior people never leave unless it's to change careers because they have been stuck in the same career level for ages.

I've only known two civil engineers well enough to know what they are still doing 10 or so years post-graduation. My one friend is still working with the Army Corps and she really enjoys the job. My other friend is now a lawyer.

But, the labs sounded funny in college (there was real theory behind it, I think, but it just always sounded funny, so don't take this seriously). They got to mix concrete while I was trying to avoid the guy next to me in organic chemistry who was trying to blow up the both of us!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?