Civil Engineering in US: Departments & Majors/Minors

In summary, Cooper Union in New York is recommended as a good choice for civil engineering students, with one of the best undergraduate programs in the country and no tuition fees. For those interested in structural analysis, a Mathematics minor is recommended, while those looking for insight on aesthetics could consider a minor in architecture.
ludi_srbin
What civil engineering departments in the U.S. would you recomend? Also what would be a good major/minor to combine with civil engineering (Construction Engineering)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think my school, Cooper Union in New York is a good choice. It has one of the best undergraduate civil engineering programs in the country, and its free. There is no tuition, but there is a "student fee" of $700 a semester, which isn't anything compared to what you pay at a normal school. It is a lot of work, but I like it here. There are a lot of good people.

Hello, I'm a foreign civil engineering student, i recommend a Mathematics minor if you're going for structural analysis area :smile:.

at my universiy a lot of the civil engineers do architecture as a second major...you could probably do a minor if you like...it might give you some insight on aesthetics in addition to your technical knowledge. Making bridges and sky scrapers look nice is almost as important as making them stand. :tongue:

Last edited:

1. What is Civil Engineering and what do Civil Engineers do?

Civil Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water systems. Civil engineers use their knowledge of math, science, and technology to create safe and sustainable structures that meet the needs of society.

2. What are the top departments for Civil Engineering in the US?

According to the U.S. News & World Report, the top five departments for Civil Engineering in the US are University of California-Berkeley, University of Texas-Austin, University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Georgia Institute of Technology, and Purdue University-West Lafayette. However, there are many other highly ranked departments across the country.

3. What majors and minors are offered in Civil Engineering?

Most Civil Engineering departments offer a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, with specializations in areas such as structural engineering, transportation engineering, and environmental engineering. Some departments also offer minors in related fields such as construction management or geotechnical engineering.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Civil Engineering degree?

A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering usually takes four years to complete. Some universities also offer a five-year program that includes a co-op or internship experience. Graduate programs for a Master's or Ph.D. in Civil Engineering typically take an additional two to five years.

5. What career opportunities are available for Civil Engineering graduates?

Civil Engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. They can work for government agencies, construction companies, consulting firms, and research organizations. Some common job titles for Civil Engineers include project engineer, structural engineer, transportation engineer, and environmental engineer.