1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil or Electrial

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    Hello all! Here is my first post.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going back to school to finish my engineering degree. The program I'm looking at offers both electrical and civil. My studies were mostly in mechanical. Not sure which to choose if I decide to go back. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2009 #2

Wax

There should be more jobs in civil with the stimulus plan.

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3
    How much mathematics did you cover in mechanical? If you're comfortable with systems and signals then you might find electrical more up your alley.

Civil is still full of interesting math and physics, but of a different nature.

Both of these work areas offer employment opportunities for (good) engineers.

You might consider looking for work places in the local area where you could try to work part time as an engineering intern. This would really boost your employability upon graduation.

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4
    Potentially, there is a lot of physics in both Civil and Electrical Engineering. Courses in Civil Engineering will typically involve more of mechanics, structures, statics and materials than other fields of physics. I am not a CE so I won't comment beyond this.

EE disciplines use a lot of physics and math. More on the math side are things like signals and systems, communication theory, detection and estimation theory, signal processing, control theory, information and coding theory, optimization, etc. The more physics oriented topics are microelectronics, solid state devices, instrumentation, etc. Research or industrial projects in one often tend to have a great deal of overlap with other topics.

Making a choice between EE and CE shouldn't be very hard because they are far apart. Just go with your instincts. You can't go wrong with either. Don't worry about jobs.

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5
    I share the worry that Civil maybe oversatured?? overabundant??

i hope im wrong.

7. Jul 18, 2009 #6

Wax

The stimulus plan should help create some jobs. You'll be fine.

8. Jul 25, 2009 #7
    Advice

Civil job is better for you.If you are good in mathematics and if you are interested in maths,you can do mechanical job.It is good for you.Many types of jobs in civil which is full of maths and physics.Good work......Keep it up!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook