Deciding Between Civil or Electrical Engineering Degree

• Thread starter austincl55
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary, both electrical and civil engineering have a lot of overlap in math and physics. The stimulus plan should help create more jobs in both fields.
austincl55
Hello all! Here is my first post.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going back to school to finish my engineering degree. The program I'm looking at offers both electrical and civil. My studies were mostly in mechanical. Not sure which to choose if I decide to go back. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be more jobs in civil with the stimulus plan.

How much mathematics did you cover in mechanical? If you're comfortable with systems and signals then you might find electrical more up your alley.

Civil is still full of interesting math and physics, but of a different nature.

Both of these work areas offer employment opportunities for (good) engineers.

You might consider looking for work places in the local area where you could try to work part time as an engineering intern. This would really boost your employability upon graduation.

Potentially, there is a lot of physics in both Civil and Electrical Engineering. Courses in Civil Engineering will typically involve more of mechanics, structures, statics and materials than other fields of physics. I am not a CE so I won't comment beyond this.

EE disciplines use a lot of physics and math. More on the math side are things like signals and systems, communication theory, detection and estimation theory, signal processing, control theory, information and coding theory, optimization, etc. The more physics oriented topics are microelectronics, solid state devices, instrumentation, etc. Research or industrial projects in one often tend to have a great deal of overlap with other topics.

Making a choice between EE and CE shouldn't be very hard because they are far apart. Just go with your instincts. You can't go wrong with either. Don't worry about jobs.

I share the worry that Civil maybe oversatured?? overabundant??

i hope I am wrong.

The stimulus plan should help create some jobs. You'll be fine.

Advice

Civil job is better for you.If you are good in mathematics and if you are interested in maths,you can do mechanical job.It is good for you.Many types of jobs in civil which is full of maths and physics.Good work...Keep it up!

1. What is the main difference between civil and electrical engineering?

The main difference between civil and electrical engineering is their focus. Civil engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices.

2. Which degree has better job prospects?

Both civil and electrical engineering have good job prospects, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Civil engineering is in high demand for infrastructure projects, while electrical engineering is needed for the development of new technologies and renewable energy sources.

3. How do the salaries compare between civil and electrical engineers?

The salaries for both civil and electrical engineers can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. Generally, electrical engineers tend to earn higher salaries, but civil engineers also have good earning potential and can have a higher starting salary.

4. Which degree is more math-intensive?

Both civil and electrical engineering degrees require a strong understanding of math. However, electrical engineering tends to be more math-intensive, as it involves complex calculations and theories related to electricity, circuits, and systems. Civil engineering also requires math skills, but it may involve more practical applications and problem-solving rather than theoretical math.

5. Can I switch from one degree to the other?

It is possible to switch from civil to electrical engineering or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework and time. The two disciplines have some overlapping courses, but they also have distinct core courses. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a switch.