News Civil Rights and your roommate

• Thread starter drankin
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
So do restrictions on advertising for a roommate meet the Central Hudson test?
My understanding is that it's sufficient to meet 3 & 4, that's why they threw the "or" in there.

Again, I think the advertisement restriction is absurd, but this is how they get to do it.

I'm just linking to why Congress considers it constitutional, it's because they don't want to appear to make it ok to impinge on anyone's civil rights. When you get two ammendments that step on each other's toes, they decide that one ammendement is for the greater good in that particular area. Again, I'm just relaying the information on the subject, I'm not supporting it.

Last edited:

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
No, that language is intended to apply to commercial speech - i.e. advertising, commercials, etc.

Commercials aren't given the same respect as political speech, literary speech, etc. The latter are considered speech to promote a social goal while an Alka-Selzer commercial... not so much.
What does it restrict then? Obscenity?

Just for the sake of argument, I'll do what I can to represent the other side to this issue.

A store, has the right to refuse service to anyone. But they don't have the right to put a sign on the door that says "whites only".

I'm guessing these laws came about to solve a social problem that existed in a more severe condition that it does now.

Legally, it is hard to separate certain issues, so a line had to be drawn, that advertising discrimination would be illegal.

While it seams perfectly harmless to advertise discrimination in this instance, and under these circumstances, the removal of the law, would have broader consequences which would apply to a broader set of circumstances.

To play it safe, they probably just decided it best to draw the line and leave the issue somewhat clear cut, while also preventing unwanted public discriminatory displays.

Back when these laws were passed, in some areas especially, it might have been common to see whites only, all over the place, or no catholics, or no jews etc.

Now, if you allowed discrimination in public advertising, when it comes to personal living spaces, which seams reasonable, would we end up seeing advertisements which display more offensive messages, or slurs.

If advertising of discrimination were made legal, just for this special case, how would the law be written to keep such offensive material out of the public board? You would have to start drawing subjective lines of appropriateness.

So where there might be a perceived problem in removing the law, the worst case now, is that someone will be inconvenienced a little bit.

Last edited:
A

Al68

Advertising has been the red-headed stepchild of speech ever since the Constitution's existence (and before, for that matter).
Now that's a good analogy. Yet the first amendment makes no distinction.
Clarence Thomas and others would agree with you. There's never been a majority of Supreme Court justices on the court that would agree with you.
True, yet those that disagree with Thomas (and others) have never offered any constitutional justification whatsoever for their "commercial speech doctrine". They just fabricated it because it seems "reasonable" to them.

How is it reasonable to claim that the constitutional restrictions on government power just don't apply when government has "substantial interest"? When does government not have "substantial interest" pertaining to a law congress wants to pass?

Does the first amendment only apply to laws that congress passed because they only had a "insubstantial" or "passing" interest instead of a substantial one?

Marvellous.

A

Al68

It has been settled and the woman was within her rights to ask for a Christian roommate. It's a narrow ruling based partly on the fact that the posting was made in a church and not in a newspaper.
I notice that "ruling" was actually HUD bureaucrats deciding not to prosecute, not a court ruling. I guess HUD considers churches special? A newspaper isn't an appropriate venue for what they now say is the woman's constitutional "right to free expression", but a church is?

Perhaps those HUD officials missed a few civics classes?