1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil to Mechanical Engineering

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1

Greetings,

I'm currently a month away from obtaining my undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering. My school (Located in CA) carries a decent rank within the engineering community and, from my experience, has a fairly solid curriculum.

My issue is that I spent my first two years as an undergraduate taking ME courses to satisfy my CE prereqs, which is pretty common. When I got into my third year, I really disliked civil, but decided to go with it because I had a job lined up after college.

Fast forward to now: my lack of motivation has really caused my GPA to plummet. I'm down to a 2.75 overall GPA.

I've noticed that my best grades (almost all A's) came from my ME courses, and obviously my lowest grades (C's) are from CE. Because of this, I'm considering getting my master's in ME.

Obviously, the issue is my GPA. I'm considering taking extension courses at a UC school, possibly UCI, and attempting to get the best grades possible. If I was able to get good grades, would it be possible to get into a UC school? Right now I don't even meet the minimum GPA requirements, but I know for a fact that I can do well in graduate ME courses if given the opportunity.

Has anyone gone this route, or done something similar? I honestly feel lost and alone right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    I think the paramount concern is for you to find an enjoyable career. If you have not interned at a CE firm or two, then I suggest that you find a placement this summer. I think that you need some practical experience to help you decide if you'll be satisfied with CE or not. You can certainly delay graduation. In fact, I recommend that you do so until you get your gpa above 3.0. Down the road, you may opt for graduate school, and you want to be sure that you're above their gpa threshold for admissions. Also, you shouldn't need to earn a B.S. in ME in order to enter an ME grad program, just take a few more ME courses (FEM, Heat Transfer, Energy Analysis, Design, etc.) and earn As in them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook