Calculating Projectile Motion of a Civil War Cannonball

In summary: I think I got it right, but I want to make sure.Thanks so much for your help, Tanya and haruspex!Yes.Great, thank you! That should be it for these questions, yes?When you have a moment, could you please check the other problem we were working on? I think I got it right, but I want to make sure.Thanks so much for your help, Tanya and haruspex!
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A Civil War cannon fires a cannonball at 900 ft/s. If the cannon is aimed 5 degrees above the horizontal, find the time that the cannonball is in the air.

A Civil War cannon fires a cannonball at 900 ft/s. If the cannon is aimed 5 degrees above the horizontal, find the height that the cannonball reaches.

Homework Equations

Sin=opp/hyp
y=y0+v0t+1/2a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the vertical velocity using sine.
900 sin s=78 ft/s .

Next I found the time using the vertical velocity.

v0=78 ft/s
a=-32.2 ft/s
v=0
t=(v-v0)/a
0-78/-32.2
t=-78/-32.2
t=4.8 s.

4.8 seconds should be the answer to the first problem.

Next, I used y=y0+v0t+1/2a(t^2) to find the height the cannonball reached.

y=0+78(4.8)+1/2(-32.2)(4.8)
y=374.4+1/2(154.56)
y=377.4-77.28=300.12

Height=300 ft.

Are my answers correct? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to check your calculation of 78/32.2

Ah, I see. I doubled it for some reason. t=2.4 s.

Oh, I doubled it because I considered the motion from the start to the peak. So to find the total time, I doubled my start to peak time.

Could someone please either verify or correct my calculation of the time?

Medgirl314 said:
Could someone please either verify or correct my calculation of the time?
When you evaluate some intermediate quantity (vertical speed in this case) then plug that number into another equation to get the quantity you want, you run the risk of error accumulation. You need to maintain more significant figures than you will quote in the final answer.
Also, yes, you correctly doubled the time to get time in the air, but then you used that doubled time to find the height. Reconsider that.

Likes 1 person
Okay. You're saying to re-work the vertical speed just like I did, but maintaining more decimal places, and then using the original(not doubled) speed to find the height. Correct?

Thank you! :smile:

Medgirl314 said:
Okay. You're saying to re-work the vertical speed just like I did, but maintaining more decimal places, and then using the original(not doubled) speed to find the height. Correct?

Thank you! :smile:
Yes.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time seeing how I found v0 using sine the first time. I thought I had posted it clearly, but it looks like I may have made a typo. Do you know how I did it the first time?

Thanks again!

Medgirl314 said:
I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time seeing how I found v0 using sine the first time. I thought I had posted it clearly, but it looks like I may have made a typo. Do you know how I did it the first time?

Thanks again!

You mean, 900 sin(5 degrees) ft/sec?

Yes, thank you! I accidentally left out the (5 degrees), which, for some reason, messed with my brain. v0=78.44 ft/s
a=-32.2 ft/s
v=0
t=(v-v0)/a
0-78.44/-32.2
t=-78.44/-32.2
t=2.44 s.

Total time, and final answer for the first problem: 4.9 s

(Copying and editing my OP)Next, I used y=y0+v0t+1/2a(t^2) to find the height the cannonball reached.

y=0+78.44(2.436)+1/2(-32.2)(2.436)
y=191.07+1/2(-78.439)
y=191.0-39.32 = approximately 152 ft.

Thanks so much for the tips! How does that look?

Medgirl314 said:
Next, I used y=y0+v0t+1/2a(t^2) to find the height the cannonball reached.

y=191.07+1/2(-78.439)
y=191.0-39.32 = approximately 152 ft.

You missed squaring the term marked in red.

Likes 1 person
Yes, I did miss that. Thank you! Once I learn LaTex seeing how to solve the equations will be earlier. I am on mobile and new to the app,so I can't go back and forth between my last post and this one. Look for my answer in about 10 hours, if you don't mind, as it is time for bed here! :smile:Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

y=191.07+1/2(-32.2)(5.934)
y=191.07-95.53
y= approximately 96 feet. Thanks again, Tanya Sharma and haruspex!

How does that look?

Medgirl314 said:
y= approximately 96 feet.
Yes.

Likes 1 person
Great, thank you! That should be it for these questions, yes?

When you have a moment, could you please check the other problem we were working on?

1. What is the purpose of a Civil War cannon?

A Civil War cannon was a large, muzzle-loaded weapon used in battle during the American Civil War. Its purpose was to fire large, heavy projectiles at enemy troops or fortifications.

2. How did the size and weight of a cannon affect its range and accuracy?

The size and weight of a cannon had a significant impact on its range and accuracy. A larger and heavier cannon could fire a larger projectile with more force, resulting in a longer range and potentially higher accuracy. However, the larger size and weight also made it more difficult to aim and maneuver the cannon.

3. What factors affected the trajectory of a cannonball?

The trajectory of a cannonball was affected by several factors, including the angle of the cannon, the amount and type of gunpowder used, wind speed and direction, and the weight and shape of the projectile. Additionally, the condition of the cannon and the skill of the operator could also impact the trajectory.

4. How did the materials used to make a cannon affect its performance?

The materials used to make a cannon had a significant impact on its performance. Cannons made of stronger materials, such as iron or bronze, were more durable and could withstand the intense pressure and force of firing. This allowed them to be used more frequently and effectively in battle.

5. What advancements were made in Civil War cannon technology?

During the Civil War, several advancements were made in cannon technology. These included the development of rifled cannons, which had spiral grooves inside the barrel to improve accuracy and range, and the use of larger projectiles for more destructive power. Additionally, new methods of loading and firing the cannon, such as the use of breech-loading systems, were also developed.