Who is Responsible for the Violence in the Middle East?

• News
  • Thread starter Bilal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the actions and consequences of the American and British governments in the Middle East, particularly in Iraq. The conversation touches on topics such as the support of dictators, the invasion of Iraq, and the resulting civilian casualties and destruction. There is also a mention of the role of the media in portraying these events and the justifications and moral complexities of the actions of both sides.
Bilal said:
Saudi Arabia paid 30 Millions cash + 10 Millions to Earth quakes centers in Indian Ocean + (at least 82 Millions) from the people = 122 Millions
In the case of Saudi Arabia you considered contributions from all sources (Govt, private, etc.), so being a scientific researcher, I guess you did the same calculation for the US too, right ?

USA paid 350 Millions
What, you didn't ?! Ooh, that's not fair now, is it ?

Here, I can help some :

US Govt : 350 million

Private Donations : 650 million

Costs of operation, services, fuel consumption, maintenance, etc. of one Carrier Group and one Marine Expeditionary Unit : several millions of dollars per day, but I don't know the numbers. Some of these costs would be borne anyway, but at a minimum this will cost an additional 100 million a month.

But this is not directly pertinent to the thread. I ask all you folks who think the US armed services don't care if they kill innocent civilians (and take them to hospitals only if there are cameras around) : what does the US have to gain by being murderous devils ? How does it serve their self-interest to kill innocents, anger the public, weaken their support base, strengthen the enemies and in general, make everything much harder for themselves ?

Could it be that these things happen despite their efforts to minimize it ? Could it be that the nature of the conflict makes it virtually impossible to not have civilian casualty ? Could it be that seeing graphic visual images has caused you to react emotionally rather than reasonably ? Could it be that all the journalists and news cameras in the area tend to travel with the armed forces, and none want to hang out with the insurgents ? Could it help you consider both sides of the story, if you saw pictures and videos of civilians killed by insurgent attacks, bombings, and beheadings ?

I certainly do not contend that all of the above are always true, but I guess you'd answer 'no' to every one of them ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
Private Donations : 650 million
And that doesn't include corporate donations, which are substantial as well.

"This so-called ill treatment and torture in detention centers, stories of which were spread everywhere...were not, as some assumed, inflicted methodically, but were excesses committed by individual prison guards, their deputies, and men who laid violent hands on the detainees."
Rudolf Hoess, SS commandant, Auschwitz.
source

Burnsys concedes! Well, good game, fellas...

russ_watters said:
And that doesn't include corporate donations, which are substantial as well.
The company I work for is contributing 4 million - 2 million up front, 1 milion in employee donation matching and another million over the next year.

Pfizer : $10 million cash + $25 million in healthcare products
Pepsi : $1 million cash + water and other bottled drinks
Microsoft : $3 million cash

Many large and medium sized companies (Intel, Cisco, Time Warner) are matching employee donations in addition to their contributions

Two weeks ago, I heard the total from Corporate donations was about $200 million. What it is now, I haven't found out.