Cl(U ^ A) = cl( U ^ cl(A) )

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
In summary, we have proved that cl(U^A) = cl(U)^cl(A) using the properties of neighborhoods and the definition of closure.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

Prove that cl(U^A) = cl(U^cl(A)).

Homework Equations

Theorems...

1.) cl(U^A) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] cl(U)^cl(A)
2.) cl(A)=cl(cl(A))

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof so far,

Let x be in cl(U^A). From #1, then x is in cl(U)^cl(A). From #2, x is in cl(U)^cl(cl(A)).

I am stuck there. I feel like I am one hair away from finishing but cannot.

EDIT: I realized I need to use neighborhoods for this proof. I am currently working on it and I think I might have something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will update soon.

Proof:

Assume x is in cl(U^A). This means that every neighborhood of x intersects with U^A.

Let N be a neighborhood of x. Then N intersects with both U and A. Since N is arbitrary, this implies that every neighborhood of x intersects with both U and A.

Now, consider cl(U)^cl(A). By definition, cl(U) is the intersection of all closed sets containing U, and cl(A) is the intersection of all closed sets containing A. This means that any neighborhood of x must intersect with both cl(U) and cl(A).

Since x is in both cl(U) and cl(A), this means that every neighborhood of x intersects with both cl(U) and cl(A). Therefore, x is in cl(U)^cl(A).

Now, let x be in cl(U)^cl(A). This means that every neighborhood of x intersects with both cl(U) and cl(A).

Let N be a neighborhood of x. Then N intersects with both U and A. Since N is arbitrary, this implies that every neighborhood of x intersects with U^A.

Therefore, x is in cl(U^A).

Since x is in both cl(U^A) and cl(U)^cl(A), this means that cl(U^A)=cl(U)^cl(A).

What does the equation "Cl(U ^ A) = cl( U ^ cl(A) )" mean?

The equation "Cl(U ^ A) = cl( U ^ cl(A) )" is a mathematical expression that compares the closure of the intersection of two sets (U and A) to the intersection of the closure of the same two sets. In simpler terms, it states that the closure of the combined set (U ^ A) is equal to the combined closure of the two individual sets (U and A).

What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant in mathematics because it demonstrates the properties of closure in set theory. It shows that the closure of a set is always equal to the closure of its individual elements, and that the closure operation is distributive when applied to the intersection of sets.

How is this equation used in practical applications?

In practical applications, this equation can be used to determine the closure of a set by finding the intersection of the closure of its individual elements. It can also be used in proofs and calculations involving set operations and closure.

Can you provide an example of how this equation is applied in a real-world scenario?

One example of how this equation can be applied in a real-world scenario is in computer science, specifically in database management. In a database, the closure of a set of attributes is equal to the closure of the intersection of those attributes with the functional dependencies of the given database relation.

Are there any exceptions or limitations to this equation?

Yes, there are some exceptions and limitations to this equation. The equation may not hold true for infinite sets or sets with uncountable elements. Additionally, the closure operation may not be defined for all types of sets, such as those with infinite or uncountable elements.