Claculate the final speed of a skier who skis down a hill

In summary, a skier who starts downhill skiing at a speed of 3.0 m/sec will have a final speed of 39.7 m/sec, while a skier who starts downhill skiing at a speed of 0 will have a final speed of 39.6 m/sec.
lochs
I have an assignment question, it states: Surprisingly little advantage is gained by getting a running start in a downhill race. To demonstrate this, claculate the final speed of a skier who skis down a hill 80-m-high with negligible friction (a) if her initial speed is zero; (b) if her initial speed is 3.0 m/sec. [this final speed found in part (b) is larger than in part (a), but by far less than 3.0 m/sec!]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use this kinematic equation:

[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{i}^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Compare the two.

lochs said:
I have an assignment question, it states: Surprisingly little advantage is gained by getting a running start in a downhill race. To demonstrate this, claculate the final speed of a skier who skis down a hill 80-m-high with negligible friction (a) if her initial speed is zero; (b) if her initial speed is 3.0 m/sec. [this final speed found in part (b) is larger than in part (a), but by far less than 3.0 m/sec!]
For both cases:
{Delta Kinetic Energy} = -{Delta Potential Energy} = mgh = (9.81)(80)*m = (785)*m =
= m*(vf)2/2 - m*(vi)2/2 =
= (m/2)*{(vf)2 - (vi)2}
::: ⇒ (vf)2 - (vi)2 = (1570)
::: ⇒ vf = sqrt{1570 + (vi)2}

Case #1:
vi = 0 ::: ⇒ vf = sqrt{1570 + (0)2} = (39.6 m/sec)

Case #2:
vi = (3.0 m/sec) ::: ⇒ vf = sqrt{1570 + (3)2} = (39.7 m/sec)

~~

Last edited:
Thank you
xanthym, your response is a little confusing.. is that potential energy that you're using?

Jameson, i don't get how i'd get a? also would distance be 80 m? and if so isn't that height or are they the same thing?

xanthym's right. I just glanced at this question... you don't have enough information to use a kinematic equation.

You know the potential energy at the top, and since their is no kinetic energy yet, you can call this total the total energy.

[tex]P.E. = mgh[/tex]
[tex] = (m)(9.81)(80)[/tex]

It is interesting to note that her mass does not affect this problem, as it will cancel out because it is used in every term.

Look at xanthym's work, and see how using the Law of Conservation of Energy will help you figure out the final velocities.

--------
Jameson

Ok so then
its PE=gh since mass cancels out?

this is what i have

KEi=PEi =KEf + PEf
becomes 0 + mgh inital = 1/2mv final squared + 0

v final=mgh inital = 2gh initial

v final= (2gh inital) 1/2

sorry i hope that makes sense.. I'm not sure how to use the latex thing..

[tex] (2gh + v_i^2)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
okay i got it =)

thank you so much!

1. How do I calculate the final speed of a skier who skis down a hill?

The final speed of a skier can be calculated using the formula: final speed = initial speed + (acceleration x time). The initial speed is the speed at which the skier begins skiing down the hill and acceleration is the rate at which the skier's speed increases. Time is the duration of the skier's descent down the hill.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the final speed of a skier?

The unit of measurement for the final speed of a skier is typically meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

3. How does the steepness of the hill affect the final speed of a skier?

The steeper the hill, the faster the skier will accelerate and therefore, the higher their final speed will be. This is because a steeper hill will have a higher slope, which means a greater force of gravity acting on the skier.

4. Is air resistance a factor in calculating the final speed of a skier?

Yes, air resistance is a factor that can affect the final speed of a skier. As the skier moves down the hill, they will encounter air resistance, which can slow them down. However, the effect of air resistance on the final speed of a skier is typically negligible compared to other factors such as the steepness of the hill and the skier's mass.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the final speed of a skier?

Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when skiing. Make sure the skier is wearing appropriate protective gear such as a helmet and follow all safety guidelines for the specific ski slope. It is also important to accurately measure the initial speed and time to ensure an accurate calculation of the final speed.