What is the process for claiming an Avatar on PF?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about Avatar claims. Claiming for an Avatar! I think those who are not PF contributors but contributing with all your effort and valuable time will have to be gathered together for claiming to Tom and Greg the chance of having our proper avatar!. If not, we could make a PF strike or something similar. The hard disk capacity required in the server for a small picture is almost negligible!. Come on, boys, let's shout: ¡¡Avatar, Avatar! However, the doubt exposed by yourself is an offence against us. Personally, I prefer to have a signature!. However, all the time I have spent here is more valuable
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Claiming for an Avatar!

I think those who are not PF contributors but contributing with all your effort and valuable time will have to be gathered together for claiming to Tom and Greg the chance of having our proper avatar!. If not, we could make a PF strike or something similar. What is the hard disk capacity required in the server for a small picture? It is almost negligible!.

Have you ever seen an engineer gurú with the photo of Cell's Dragon Ball?. It is not serious!

Come on, boys, let's shout: ¡¡Avatar, Avatar!

Subscribe you down!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, we'll give you an avatar, and then you'll want a signature too. I'm still wondering how you managed to keep yours so long already without coughing up the dough. :grumpy:

But, more seriously, that sounds like a nice idea to reward maybe the gurus, science advisors and homework helpers with an avatar. Leave the rest of the perks for the contributors, but we know these are folks who probably would contribute if they could afford to do so as many do already. (Right? You would, wouldn't you?)

Moonbear said:
Leave the rest of the perks for the contributors, but we know these are folks who probably would contribute if they could afford to do so as many do already. (Right? You would, wouldn't you?)

Urrrm, yes! Of course!

*shifty eyes*

actually, I think that those options should be given to the financially challenged, me for example. how are you supposed to afford a premium membership if you're a kid? This is the only board I've seen that makes you pay for these options.

Moonbear said:
but we know these are folks who probably would contribute if they could afford to do so as many do already. (Right? You would, wouldn't you?)

Two points:

i) All the time I have spent here is more valuable than any US dollar.

ii) I don't trust in paying through internet and giving my card number. It is not too sure. I try to avoid it always I can.

I think all the time I (and a great amount of other people here) have spent here is sufficient proof of the feeling we do want to contribute to PF. The doubt exposed by yourself is an offence itself against us.

Personally I prefer to have a signature! :rolleyes:but I never want to be a PF's contributor because of its ugly color! :grumpy: (sounds like sour grapes! :devil: )you know first we should strike because of ugly avatars in PF!(who gets to decide which one is ugly! :confused: )

Clausius2 said:
Two points:

ii) I don't trust in paying through internet and giving my card number. It is not too sure. I try to avoid it always I can.

I think all the time I (and a great amount of other people here) have spent here is sufficient proof of the feeling we do want to contribute to PF. The doubt exposed by yourself is an offence itself against us.

Sorry, I should have tossed some smilies in there. My joke didn't come across well. But ultimately, I agree that some perks to thank those who contribute with time rather than money is certainly a good way to show appreciation.

Or, possibly a free avatar could go to those who are not only nominated as science advisors, but who also reach a certain post count...those who really are putting in a lot of time and effort and have shown they are here for the long haul. (Maybe we should make Clausius work up to that 1000th post first. :tongue2:)

And just so you know I'm not arguing this point for personal gain, I've already just renewed my contributorship for another year, so I'm not suggesting this to get out of renewing or anything. And, if others here have avatars, it's not going to stop me from continuing to contribute; really, I don't contribute for the avatar and could live my life just fine in an avatar-free world, that's just a fun extra.

Moonbear said:
Sorry, I should have tossed some smilies in there. My joke didn't come across well. But ultimately, I agree that some perks to thank those who contribute with time rather than money is certainly a good way to show appreciation.

DON'T WORRY AT ALL!. Don't think I was upset!. I know you! :smile: You're somehow like the cat of your avatar! :biggrin:

(Maybe we should make Clausius work up to that 1000th post first. :tongue2:)

Ehem... I'm too near of that number...

And, if others here have avatars, it's not going to stop me from continuing to contribute; really, I don't contribute for the avatar and could live my life just fine in an avatar-free world, that's just a fun extra.

And we admire you to do so!.

How about avtar donation? as i am avtarless, maybe i could donate my
unavtar, to be awarded to an avtarwantee for services rendered.
PS, i couldn't find a dashing knigh avtar anyhow. :grumpy:

You could always allow avatars, but not allow them to be uploaded. Meaning that people would have to host their own avatar.

Moonbear said:
Sure, we'll give you an avatar, and then you'll want a signature too.

Leave the rest of the perks for the contributors
Is an avatar a perk, or a courtesy for other users that allows them to easily and quickly identify the poster?

I don't trust paying on line either, or else I would donate.

I agree with hitssquad: Having avatars does make it easier to distinguish members. Personally I often have no clue who is posting when I see a bunch of gold names in a row. *Looks at Wolram and Zoob*

Last edited:
hypatia said:
I don't trust paying on line either, or else I would donate.
Good news! You don't need to pay with a credit card! You can send Greg a check, or a money order (if you wish to keep your identity a secret!

I think paypal has that option also.

Clausius2 said:
I think those who are not PF contributors but contributing with all your effort and valuable time will have to be gathered together for claiming to Tom and Greg the chance of having our proper avatar!.

You mean Greg and Warren. I can't help ya.

hitssquad said:
Is an avatar a perk, or a courtesy for other users that allows them to easily and quickly identify the poster?

Hmm...you're right, I do find it easier to recognize people by their avatars rather than by name, especially when reading through a long thread, though I can get by with names alone just fine too. I was thinking of it as a perk simply because I've never had an avatar anywhere else before, so they're sort of special to me. :smile:

I've gotten to where I don't even notice avatars, I go by name only.

There have been times that people changed avatars and I didn't notice until someone pointed it out. To me they are a perk.

wolram, you could donate your avatar to me o:)

Clausius2 said:
One could argue that one receives quid pro quo from participation in this forum. We spend time contributing our knowledge, and in return, we benefit from others' knowlegde. I personally get a lot particularly from the math and physics sections (and the others as well) that I would not otherwise get elsewhere. The fee for membership is quite reasonable IMO - considering what people pay for other stuff, e.g. movies and CD's.

I also appreciate the fact that I can post a technical matter and get good feedback from someone else who might have experience, or at least point me to a reference of which I was previously unaware.

Many things in GD are priceless. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Or, possibly a free avatar could go to those who are not only nominated as science advisors, but who also reach a certain post count...those who really are putting in a lot of time and effort and have shown they are here for the long haul. (Maybe we should make Clausius work up to that 1000th post first. )
A reasonable suggestion. Science advisors and homework helpers perhaps should have an avatar perk.

wolram said:
How about avtar donation? as i am avtarless, maybe i could donate my
unavtar, to be awarded to an avtarwantee for services rendered.
PS, i couldn't find a dashing knigh avtar anyhow.
One can create one's own avatar with graphics software like photoship elements, or simply refer a url. Regarding the latter, one may run into blocks on some sites because referring to images on other sites ivolves bandwidth usage that many sites seek to limit.

My thrupence :biggrin: - I would prefer a slightly larger avatar image (e.g. 100x100 pixels, rather than 64x64). At 72 dpi, some pictures don't do so well with reduced resolution.

Clausius2 said:
I think those who are not PF contributors but contributing with all your effort and valuable time will have to be gathered together for claiming to Tom and Greg the chance of having our proper avatar!.
Who will pay for the maintenance of the website? It would seem most logical that the ones who use/enjoy the website the most contribute a little to cover the cost and keep the site running.

Monique said:
Who will pay for the maintenance of the website? It would seem most logical that the ones who use/enjoy the website the most contribute a little to cover the cost and keep the site running.
Well advertising and the purchase of textbooks or other items, in theory could be used to pay.

However, with something like 24,000+ members, there is a substantial amount of effort in this enterprise.

Afterall, membership is voluntary.

Astronuc said:
Science advisors and homework helpers perhaps should have an avatar perk.

Sounds good to me.

yomamma said:
wolram, you could donate your avatar to me o:)
He can't because he should use it for his organization,OFER!

I thought it was kind of odd that we had to be contributors to have avatars and sigs. I've never been to another site that did that. I didn't really mind though. The only thing I really wanted was my sig so I could show people that my screenname wasn't just a crass pun.

I'd have to agree though that it seems like contributors of a non-financial sort should be rewarded with a couple perks aswell.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I thought it was kind of odd that we had to be contributors to have avatars and sigs. I've never been to another site that did that. I didn't really mind though.

We needed $$ to keep the place running and we're not too fond of frequent pledge drives or ads. So, we wanted to reward those who contributed.

Yeah, I think clausius has a point, although I wouldn't go so far with the proposal.

we get them free on SFN. and a sig and Who's Online. all of which are free on CAD-forums as well.

1. What is an Avatar on PF?

An Avatar on PF, or ProFantasy, is a digital representation or profile picture that users can create and customize to represent themselves on the platform.

2. How do I claim an Avatar on PF?

The process for claiming an Avatar on PF is simple. First, create an account on the platform. Then, click on your profile and select "Edit Avatar". From there, you can choose to upload your own image or use the provided options to customize your Avatar.

3. Is there a cost to claiming an Avatar on PF?

No, there is no cost associated with claiming an Avatar on PF. It is a free feature for all users on the platform.

4. Can I change my Avatar after claiming it on PF?

Yes, you can change your Avatar at any time by following the same process of clicking on your profile and selecting "Edit Avatar". You can change the image or customize it as many times as you'd like.

5. Can I use my own image as an Avatar on PF?

Yes, you can upload your own image to use as your Avatar on PF. Simply click on your profile, select "Edit Avatar", and choose the option to upload your own image.