Clamping Problem (Wedge & Friction)

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with basic physics for an engineering application involving clamping a drafted part. They are trying to determine the necessary force to pull the part out of the fixture, and have defined the variables of static coefficient of friction, draft angle, clamping force, and weight of the part. The listener corrects their equation and explains that the force required is the sum of the weight of the part and the normal force, which can be calculated using the static friction equation.
MITranger
XpDcg.jpg

Yikes... I'm having a huge brain-fart and need help with some really embarrassingly basic physics for a real world engineering application.

Basically, I'm clamping a drafted part and I'm concerned that the wedging force will pop it out of the fixture. I'm trying to ultimately find F_z, or the force necessary to pull it out of the "vise" or UP as shown in the picture.

Variables:
Static Coefficient of Friction on Both Surfaces (mu) = ~0.5
Draft Angle (θ) = 0-15 deg (variable)
Clamping Force (F_x) = ? lbs.
Weight of Part (mg) = 1-10 lbs.

I think that's all the variables I need to define F_z, but I'm pretty sure my equation is way off and Newton would kill me:

F_z = [mg+2*mu*F_x*(cos(θ))^2]-[2*F_x*sin(θ)*cos(θ)]

Close? Wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Help me out here!No, your equation is not right. The force necessary to pull the part out of the vise is the sum of two forces: the weight of the part and the normal force of the clamping surface on the part. The normal force can be calculated using the static friction equation: F_z = μ*F_x + mg Where F_x is the clamping force, μ is the static coefficient of friction, and mg is the weight of the part. Hope this helps!

1. What is the Clamping Problem?

The Clamping Problem, also known as the Wedge and Friction Problem, is a concept in physics that involves the use of wedges and friction to secure objects in place. It is commonly encountered in engineering and construction, as well as in everyday objects such as door stoppers and wheel chocks.

2. How does the Clamping Problem work?

The Clamping Problem involves the use of a wedge-shaped object, such as a door stopper or a ramp, to hold an object in place. The wedge is inserted between the object and a stationary surface, creating a force that prevents the object from moving. This force is known as the clamping force. Friction between the object and the wedge also helps to keep the object in place.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of the Clamping Problem?

There are several factors that can affect the effectiveness of the Clamping Problem. These include the angle of the wedge, the coefficient of friction between the object and the wedge, and the weight of the object being clamped. The steeper the angle of the wedge, the greater the clamping force. A higher coefficient of friction also increases the effectiveness of the clamping force. Additionally, heavier objects require more force to be effectively clamped.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Clamping Problem?

The Clamping Problem is a fundamental concept in engineering and construction. It is often used to secure objects in place, such as holding a ladder against a wall or keeping a door open. It is also commonly used in machinery and equipment to prevent movement or slippage. In everyday life, the Clamping Problem can be seen in objects like door stoppers, wheel chocks, and even the way a shoelace is tied.

5. How do engineers and scientists solve the Clamping Problem?

Engineers and scientists use mathematical equations and principles of physics to solve the Clamping Problem. They take into account factors such as the weight of the object, the angle of the wedge, and the coefficient of friction to determine the necessary clamping force. They may also use trial and error methods to find the most effective solution for a specific application.