1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clapeyron equation

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1
    why's it positive for most materials?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The equation says, for a phase transition:
    [tex]\frac{dP}{dT}=\frac{\Delta H}{T\Delta V}[/tex]
    I think you're talking about dP/dT, but correct me if I'm wrong. Suppose you have a liquid that is being converted into a gas. This process is endothermic so [itex]\Delta H>0[/itex] and since the volume of the gas is greater than that of the liquid [itex]\Delta V>0[/itex]. Since the LHS has all positive terms, then [itex]\frac{dP}{dT}>0[/itex]. If you go in reverse and condense a gas then both [itex] \Delta H[/itex] and [itex]\Delta V[/itex] change sign so the RHS remains positive.

If you want to know if it is positive for most substances, you have to think of it as "are delta H and delta V the same sign for most substances and most phase transitions". There are exceptions, like the liquid-solid transition of water, but think about most substances and the answer will come to you.
  4. Jan 13, 2006 #3
    thank you very much!!! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?