Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification about major

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    I'm interested in the genetic engineering of animals, but I don't know what field of science that falls under specifically. I've found that it is both Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering. Is BME is a sub-component of Biotech?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    I wouldn't say so, though you could easily argue the opposite. Loosely, to me, biotechnology involves the interaction of biological processes with technology - things like tissue engineering (though, this is also biomedical engineering!). To give an example of the opposite, I feel that things like the design and development of prosthetics & orthotics would count as biomedical engineering but not biotechnology.

I'm not sure I'd say genetic engineering is either, I'd probably just call it genetics as a sub of molecular biology. This all said, I don't really think the labels are all that important, though one tends to develop preferences for ones own description. I know people in medical physics/clinical science (whom are labelled clinical scientists or medical physicists) who, nonetheless, market themselves as clinical engineers.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    Ok, thank you. I was wanting to know because colleges sometimes classify their courses as Biomedical Engineering or Biotechnology.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook