1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification about major

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    I'm interested in the genetic engineering of animals, but I don't know what field of science that falls under specifically. I've found that it is both Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering. Is BME is a sub-component of Biotech?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    I wouldn't say so, though you could easily argue the opposite. Loosely, to me, biotechnology involves the interaction of biological processes with technology - things like tissue engineering (though, this is also biomedical engineering!). To give an example of the opposite, I feel that things like the design and development of prosthetics & orthotics would count as biomedical engineering but not biotechnology.

I'm not sure I'd say genetic engineering is either, I'd probably just call it genetics as a sub of molecular biology. This all said, I don't really think the labels are all that important, though one tends to develop preferences for ones own description. I know people in medical physics/clinical science (whom are labelled clinical scientists or medical physicists) who, nonetheless, market themselves as clinical engineers.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    Ok, thank you. I was wanting to know because colleges sometimes classify their courses as Biomedical Engineering or Biotechnology.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook