1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification needed

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a non-empty set of complex numbers F is closed iff every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand the second part of the iff statement. If someone could clarify what it means about convergent sequences, I could go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure what you call the "second part". You have to show two statements:

1. If every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F, then F is closed.

2. If F is closed, then every convergent sequence of elements in F converges to an element of F.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    I don't understand what "every convergent sequence of elements of F converges to an element of F" means.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Well, {1/n} n=1,.... is a sequence of elements in the interval (0,1), and the

sequence converges to ___ which is in ____.......

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    it converges to 0, which is in the interval, or the border of the interval. But 0 isn't an element of that sequence though.

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Actually, 0 is _not_ in the interval. Remember:

(0,1):={ x: 0<x<1 } , which does not include 0 . Tho this is just for the

real line.

8. Aug 30, 2012 #7
    So how does that example work in this situation then. We needed a sequence who's limit is an element of the sequence.

9. Aug 30, 2012 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I was trying to illustrate a familiar case in which a sequence defined on S does not

converge to a point in S. What is your book's definition of closed set ?

10. Aug 30, 2012 #9
    We don't have a book, but basically a closed set is one where the boundary of the set is contained in the set.

11. Aug 30, 2012 #10

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe this is the nicest , more general way of doing things:

If F is closed in ℂ , then U:= ℂ\F is open . Since U is ( U are? ) open, if x is in U ,

then there is a 'hood ( neighborhood) of x contained in U , i.e., ( in this context) a

ball B(x,r) contained in U . What would happen if x was a limit point of some sequence

{fn} in F , could you find such a ball ?

12. Aug 30, 2012 #11

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Sorry, LCKurtz, I did not mean to strong-arm myself into the post and take-it over.

13. Aug 30, 2012 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem. I have been gone all afternoon anyway. And judging from the responses, it may take both of us to explain the concept.

14. Aug 30, 2012 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

F is a subset. Every convergent sequence in F has a limit. This limit may or may not be in F. Look at Bacle's example on the real line. If F = (0,1) and ##x_n=\frac 1 {n+1}## then ##x_n\rightarrow 0##, which is not in F. So F isn't closed. Such limits must all be in F if F is to be closed. If F = [0,1], then it is closed, as an example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook