Clarification of observation

• Thread starter khemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, observation in quantum mechanics refers to the act of interacting with a quantum system in order to gather information about its state. It does not necessarily require a conscious observer, and even non-working detectors can cause a collapse of the wave function. The mathematical aspect of observation involves advanced concepts and requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge to further your understanding of this fascinating subject.
khemist
So please pardon me for my naive question, before I even ask...

Observation seems to be something that is more complex than what it appears to be on the surface. Another poster posed the question about Schrodinger's cat, and the fact that the cat must be an observer in the equation. However, because us (humans) have no record of that the cat observes then we are unable to see what is going on inside the box.

Many other posters seems to continually ask questions regarding detection of photons, and what if I set up a detector that does not really work. Well, it makes sense that there is no observation, but from my meager understanding that non-working detector IS actually detecting, and therefore the wave function, being observed, "collapses" to a particle.

Wikipedia claims that an observer is, in the quantum mechanical world, a measurement. But, as many people have pointed out, how can one measure something with a detector that is broken/ not working? And how can one not consider what the cat is observing a measurement? Is it not considered a measurement because "we," the humans, are not able to recognize the actual measurement or observation?

To be honest, I think half of this post is the beer speaking :P But to me it seems quite perplexing, and it sort of resonates the term "observing with observation," at least in my eyes. I would love for someone to explain to me in more detail about what is going on. And please, do not hesitate to use math in your explanation. While I have a limited background in math (I am in the process of completing calc 3, which is doing vector calculus mainly), I would love to see what is behind these questions, if there is in fact math behind it.

Long post, but thanks for reading through, if you do ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question and for acknowledging your limited understanding on the topic. It is always important to ask questions and seek clarification when it comes to complex scientific concepts like observation in quantum mechanics.

Firstly, I would like to address the concept of observation itself. In quantum mechanics, observation refers to the act of interacting with a quantum system in order to gather information about its state. This interaction can be done through a variety of means, such as using a detector or simply by looking at the system. However, it is important to note that observation does not necessarily require a conscious observer. In fact, any interaction between the quantum system and its environment can be considered an observation, even if it is not done by a conscious being.

Now, let's address the example of Schrodinger's cat. In this famous thought experiment, the cat is both alive and dead until an observer opens the box and observes its state. However, this does not necessarily mean that the cat itself is the observer. The act of opening the box and looking at the cat is the observation, and it is this interaction that causes the wave function to collapse and the cat's state to become definite.

As for the question about a non-working detector, it is important to understand that even a non-working detector can still interact with the quantum system and cause a collapse of the wave function. However, the information gathered from this interaction may not be accurate or reliable. This is why it is crucial for scientists to use properly functioning detectors and precise measurements in their experiments.

In terms of measurement in quantum mechanics, it is important to note that it is not a passive act. The act of measurement itself can affect the state of the system being measured. This is known as the observer effect, and it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

As for the mathematical aspect of observation in quantum mechanics, it is a complex topic that requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematics. It involves concepts such as wave functions, operators, and probabilities. I would suggest further studying these concepts in order to gain a better understanding of the mathematical aspect of observation in quantum mechanics.

Overall, observation in quantum mechanics is a complex and fascinating topic, and it is not easily explained in a short forum post. I hope this answer has provided some clarification and sparked further interest in the subject. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge, and don't let the complexity of quantum mechanics discourage you. It is a field that continues to amaze

What is clarification of observation?

Clarification of observation is the process of providing a clear and detailed explanation of what has been observed in a scientific experiment or study.

Why is clarification of observation important in science?

Clarification of observation is important in science because it allows for a better understanding and interpretation of the data collected. It also helps to ensure that the results are accurate and can be replicated by other scientists.

How is clarification of observation different from other methods of data analysis?

Clarification of observation is different from other methods of data analysis in that it focuses specifically on providing a clear and detailed explanation of the observations made during an experiment. Other methods may involve statistical analysis or comparing data to existing theories.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when clarifying observations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when clarifying observations include making assumptions, using vague or subjective language, and not providing enough detail or context for the observations.

How can scientists ensure that their clarification of observations is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, scientists should carefully and objectively review their observations and use precise and specific language when describing them. It can also be helpful to have other scientists review and provide feedback on the clarification of observations.