1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on a dot product

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    This technically a homework question, but needed for homework and understanding for homework to come. Just hope to get it cleared up, thanks again!

1. This formula is given:

r[tex]_{1}[/tex]s[tex]_{1}[/tex] + r[tex]_{2}[/tex]s[tex]_{s}[/tex]+ r[tex]_{e}[/tex]s[tex]^{3}[/tex] = [tex]\sum[/tex]r[tex]_{n}[/tex]s[tex]_{n}[/tex] (with the limits etc. not too important).

Then, in respect to scalar products, the magnitude of any vector is denoted by l r l or by Pythoagora's theorem: square root of[r(1)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + r(2)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + r(3)[tex]^{2}[/tex]]
    (couldn't find square root in latex)

and that THAT is the same as square root of [r . r]
    This last step I do not follow...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    I know that it's true, (in reading my text) but how does 3 squared terms boil down to r^2?

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is a vector operation.

One squares the corresponding vector components represented in each of three dimensions, which are orthogonal in the Cartesian system.

The magnitude r is given as the sqrt of the sum of the squares, i.e. r = sqrt (r12 + r22 + r32), so

r2 = r12 + r22 + r32

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    See [tex] \vec{r}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex] is nothing but [tex]\sca{r}\sca{r}\cos\theta[/tex]. But [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 and so [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] = 1.

Hence [tex] \vec{r}\cdot\vec{r}[/tex] = [tex]^{}r^2[/tex]

Now a projection of a vector on an axis is known as the component of the vector on that axis. So take a cartesian system and draw any arbritary vector and drop perpendiculars on the x y and z axis. Now try using pythagoras theorem for this and you will see that how

[tex]\sca{r^2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{r^2_x + r^2_y + r^2_z}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?