1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on physics problem.

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As a baseball player strikes the ball with his bat, the 1-kg bat applies an avg force of 500N on the 0.15 kg baseball for 0.20seconds.

a. What is the force applied by the baseball on the bat?
    b. What is the acceleration of the baseball?
    c. What is the speed of the baseball at the end of the 0.2 seconds?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a.) 500N
    b.)3333.3
    c.) NO CLUE

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Aw, now I bet you have at least a little clue... I added the units for acceleration to your answer for part (b). Now if the ball is taken to be starting from rest at the start of the bat's impact, and the ball is being accelerated (on average) at 3333.3 m/(sec^2) for 0.2 second, how fast would it be going at the end of that interval? (How do you figure velocity from acceleration?)

[I'm not sure I believe the 500 N for the average force or the impact interval of a whole 0.2 second: the resulting velocity is really excessively large. But if that's what the problem says...]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?