Understanding Wald's Book: Appendix E and the Einstein Equation

• Thread starter atrahasis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the Einstein equation in Wald's book on General Relativity. The person is confused about the term (E.1.38) and why it is not null. After some discussion and algebra, the person understands that the term is not null because it is compatible with the metric on the surface and can be integrated away.
atrahasis
Hi,

I have a question concerning the Wald's book: General Relativity.
In the appendix E, he derived the Einstein equation by considering the surface term (GHY).
I do not understand what he said after the equation (E.1.38).

Actually he considers that [itex]h^{bc}\nabla_c(\delta g_{ab})=0[/itex], because we fix [itex]\delta g_{ab}=0[/itex] on the surface, but therefore why the other term in (E.1.38) is not null, the term [itex]h^{bc}\nabla_a(\delta g_{bc})[/itex].

They look the same for me, and after some algebra, where we replace the covariant derivative by the one compatible with the metric on the surface we should have a total derivative term on the surface that we can integrate away.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok finally I got it.

1. What is the main subject of Wald's book?

Wald's book is primarily about the development and application of statistics in scientific research.

2. Who is the target audience for Wald's book?

The book is intended for anyone interested in statistics, from students to researchers and professionals in various fields such as biology, economics, and social sciences.

3. What are some key concepts covered in Wald's book?

Some key concepts discussed in Wald's book include probability, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and experimental design.

4. Is Wald's book suitable for beginners in statistics?

While some knowledge of basic statistical concepts may be helpful, Wald's book is written in a clear and accessible manner and is suitable for readers with varying levels of statistics background.

5. Are there any real-world applications or examples included in Wald's book?

Yes, Wald's book includes numerous examples and case studies from various fields to illustrate the concepts and techniques discussed.