1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarifications about impedance

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    From the research I have done, I believe I have fully grasped the concept of impedance -- my initial problem being is that I suspected it had to do alot with lenz' law, but no sources clearly stated one way or another. What I need is verification that I am correct or to be corrected.

From what I understand, Impedance is expressed as a complex number, with regular resistance being the real part and reactance being the imaginary part. From what I have read, reactance is very much dependent on the concept set forth by lenz' law as it is the resistance to flow of current due to the application of lenz' law to inductive components such as actual inductors and transformers, OR capacitive components opposition to current flow due to their construction. I am almost certain there are many flaws in my understanding, so please correct me where I am wrong!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... you've already noticed that the capacitor's "resistance" to current flow does not depend on Lenz's Law. You've only looked at ideal capacitors and inductors so far - leave room for new information. Real life is messy.

To understand the concept, what the number means, you should go the physical effect that happens: what is it trying to describe.
    Impedence encodes the effect of components on the phase as well as the amplitude of a signal.

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3
    I apologise for the late response -- I appreciate the assistance and have now realised that I neglected several sections of an excellent textbook on electronic theory given to me.

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries. Let us know what you figured out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook