Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clark Texas is gone!

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This is a sad day indeed....

I can't believe the state of Kinkos would allow such a travesty.

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The small island nation of Tavula is making a fortune for use of its .tv internet address. I know that so far it has paid for a new highway, and I think improvements to the airport.

5. Nov 17, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What's the story behind that?

6. Nov 17, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The greatest lucky strike in the entire history of Tavula? I guess it [.tv] was assigned to the island long before anyone realized the marketing value. They are terribly poor and you can see why a .tv address is very desirable.

7. Nov 17, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So are they getting some sort of royalties for every site that has a .tv domain??

Guess I should have named an island "Combabwe" or "Netine".

8. Nov 17, 2005 #7
    In Arizona, Tucson School District One is putting advertisements on the sides of school buses to help pay for fuel.

The problem with that is that people are not used to seeing ads on school buses. They are confused about whether they are really school buses, and drivers are not always stopping when they should.

Perhaps the biggest brightest sign on the Buses should read:

THIS IS REALLY A SCHOOL BUS

9. Nov 17, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha, route 35: brought to you by AOL Time Warner.

10. Nov 17, 2005 #9
    AHH YUP :rofl:

11. Nov 17, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've just got to wonder, how many people are going to buy Dish TV because some town no one has ever heard of sold out for free service?

If anything, it's turned me off.

12. Nov 17, 2005 #11
    Evo- we're talking about it arn't we

13. Nov 17, 2005 #12
    In 10 years,after direct tv will cancell there free tv deal,Clark,Texas wil be back and Dish,Texas will be gone.

14. Nov 17, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

But not in a positive way.

15. Nov 17, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The news coverage alone is probably worth the investment as far as advertsing goes. There is only one problem that I see here: The town is called Dish - for Dish TV -

but already we see people confusing it with Direct TV. :rofl: Sorry scott1 but that struck me as funny considering the investment by Dish. I'm sure that this is all about name recognition.

Remember Mr. Whipple? I hated that guy but I probably still remember every commercial. And who could forget what he's pitching?

16. Nov 17, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course you know that they have already tried to put giant billboards in orbit. If and when they finally get away with this, you will look up at the night sky and see "Buy Hyundai" blocking the stars.

17. Nov 17, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Even negative publicity is good :D.... well, except if you're confusing it with your rival lol.

Hell what do you think they got in value... 125 people... probably 40 houses at the most... normally like, what, $500 a year for 10 years each... wow thats actually a ~$200,000 "investment". Probably less since small farm towns wouldn't exactly obey the 3.5ish person/house average. Probably in reality more of a $20,000 investment considering its just services they are "producing" and the articles about it will probably reach millions of people along with all the conversations like this one :)

18. Nov 17, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think scott1 just demonstrated why Dish TV did this.

19. Nov 18, 2005 #18
    It's Tuvalu. :wink:

20. Nov 18, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know...maybe they should have come up with a better name for their company rather than trying to name a town after them. I hear "dish" and if it's in the right context of TVs, then I think generic satellite dish...good advertisement for satellite vs cable, but not for a particular company. Out of context, my first association with the word or name "dish" is dinner plates. :rofl:

I object to deals like this because it completely drives out any chance of competition from a town. Once everyone has free Dish TV, do you think they'd even consider paying for a different provider or getting cable? And in 10 years, the cable company still won't have run cables there if they can't get any business, so you still won't have the option to switch even if you want to then. I have the same issue when Coke buys out schools and part of the deal is the school can't sell any beverages not made by Coca Cola. Y'know, some of us don't like Coke products and would like some other choices in the cafeteria! :grumpy: So, I get coffee. :biggrin:

21. Nov 18, 2005 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Or they could have just named their company "Clark, Texas"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?