Exploring Interesting Math Topics: A Grade 12 Class Project

In summary, the speakers discuss a grade 12 student who has been given the task of teaching a math class for a day with no restrictions on the topic. They share suggestions such as the Simplex Method, unsolved and recently solved problems in mathematics, and the history and proofs of Hilbert's problems, the 4 color map problem, and other famous problems. There is concern about time constraints, but the student is open to considering these ideas and making a list to choose from.
Parth Dave
I'm a grade 12 student and have been given the task of teaching our algebra and geometry class for a day :smile: . There are absolutely no restrictions on what I can teach about. It does not in any way have to be related to algebra or geometry, just mathematics in general. What I really need is suggestions as to what topic to teach. Heres a brief outline of what we have covered in the course:

Vector Algebra
Lines, Planes
Matrices - Determinants, inverses etc.
Linear Transformations
Translations
Rotations
Proof by Induction
Binomial/Multinomial Theorem
Complex number algebra
Chromatic polynomials
Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors - diagonalization, linear recurrences
Generating Functions
Proof and Cantor Set Theory
Basic graph theory - isomorphism, circuits/paths
Combinations/Permutations
Markov Chains

The idea is for me to teach something interesting and mathematical. The difficulty level isn't too big an issue. As long as the information presented isn't loaded with notation we haven't seen before I'm sure the class can manage. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could teach? (Something that I can learn in a day, since I do have to go teach this on Thursday)

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the Simplex Method?

How about "Unsolved and recently solved problems in Mathematics" ?

You can talk about Hilbert's problems, mentioning the ones that have been resolved. You can expand on the stuff you know, for example when you talk about the resolution of Hilbert's 7th problem, you can introduce the concept of a non-constructive proof in doing stuff like “Prove that there are irrational numbers x and y such x^y is rational.” (using x = y = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]), then talk about transcendental numbers and the importance of Gelfond's theorem. You should include the Riemann hypothesis, Goldbach conjecture, Collatz problem, the P vs NP problem and then briefly review the successful proof of FLT by Wiles (not as a lecture on modular functions, which might be too tough, but as a profound application of proof by contradiction).

It's just a thought.

Last edited:
and the 4 color map problem, do its history background and how people prove in by computer first and later by hand,this should be fun

How about the Simplex Method?
I did a quick check on Wolfram to see what that was and I get something about linear programming and optimization. However, I'm not sure what this means. Could you possibly give me an example of a problem that would require you to use the Simplex Method?

You can talk about Hilbert's problems, mentioning the ones that have been resolved. You can expand on the stuff you know, for example when you talk about the resolution of Hilbert's 7th problem, you can introduce the concept of a non-constructive proof in doing stuff like “Prove that there are irrational numbers x and y such x^y is rational.” (using x = y = ), then talk about transcendental numbers and the importance of Gelfond's theorem. You should include the Riemann hypothesis, Goldbach conjecture, Collatz problem, the P vs NP problem and then briefly review the successful proof of FLT by Wiles (not as a lecture on modular functions, which might be too tough, but as a profound application of proof by contradiction).

I think it would have been nice of me to mention that I only have a period (90 mins) to do whatever I can. And we have already done similar proofs when we did our proof section. But I'm just abit concerned that your suggestions are going to require a lot more time than I am given.

and the 4 color map problem, do its history background and how people prove in by computer first and later by hand,this should be fun
I forgot to mention that. We actually did it when we were dealing with chromatic polynomials.

Thx for all the suggestions guys. Right now I'm making a list and I'm going to start checking it twice :biggrin: .

Parth Dave said:
And we have already done similar proofs when we did our proof section.

What ?! You proved Riemann, Goldbach, Collatz and FLT in your Grade-12 class ? :rofl:

Just kidding. Seriously, I don't think it'll take that much time to run through those things. I mean you're not going to dwell on each one, just give a flavour of each.

But the choice is yours, of course. :smile:

Maximize [tex] p = 10x + 7y [/tex] subject to [tex] x\geq 0 , y \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex] x \leq 200 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring Interesting Math Topics: A Grade 12 Class Project"?

The purpose of this project is for students to delve deeper into mathematical concepts and applications beyond what is typically covered in a regular grade 12 math class. It allows them to explore their interests and challenge themselves in a subject they may have a passion for.

2. Who can participate in this project?

This project is open to any grade 12 student who is currently enrolled in a math class. It is designed to supplement and enhance their understanding and knowledge of math topics.

3. How is this project different from a regular math class?

This project is different because it allows students to choose and focus on a specific math topic that interests them, rather than following a set curriculum. It also encourages independent research and critical thinking skills, rather than solely relying on textbook or classroom instruction.

4. What kind of topics can students explore in this project?

Students can explore a wide range of math topics, from algebra and geometry to calculus and statistics. They can also choose to investigate real-world applications of math, such as finance, engineering, or computer science.

5. How will this project be evaluated?

The evaluation will be based on the quality of the students' research, their understanding and application of the math concepts, and their overall presentation of their findings. Students may also be required to complete a final project report or presentation to showcase their work.