1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Class Lesson

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    I'm a grade 12 student and have been given the task of teaching our algebra and geometry class for a day :smile: . There are absolutely no restrictions on what I can teach about. It does not in any way have to be related to algebra or geometry, just mathematics in general. What I really need is suggestions as to what topic to teach. Heres a brief outline of what we have covered in the course:

Vector Algebra
    Lines, Planes
    Matrices - Determinants, inverses etc.
    Linear Transformations
    Proof by Induction
    Binomial/Multinomial Theorem
    Complex number algebra
    Chromatic polynomials
    Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors - diagonalization, linear recurrences
    Generating Functions
    Proof and Cantor Set Theory
    Basic graph theory - isomorphism, circuits/paths
    Markov Chains

The idea is for me to teach something interesting and mathematical. The difficulty level isn't too big an issue. As long as the information presented isn't loaded with notation we haven't seen before I'm sure the class can manage. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could teach? (Something that I can learn in a day, since I do have to go teach this on Thursday)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2
    How about the Simplex Method?
  4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

How about "Unsolved and recently solved problems in Mathematics" ?

You can talk about Hilbert's problems, mentioning the ones that have been resolved. You can expand on the stuff you know, for example when you talk about the resolution of Hilbert's 7th problem, you can introduce the concept of a non-constructive proof in doing stuff like “Prove that there are irrational numbers x and y such x^y is rational.” (using x = y = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]), then talk about transcendental numbers and the importance of Gelfond's theorem. You should include the Riemann hypothesis, Goldbach conjecture, Collatz problem, the P vs NP problem and then briefly review the successful proof of FLT by Wiles (not as a lecture on modular functions, which might be too tough, but as a profound application of proof by contradiction).

It's just a thought.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  5. Jan 11, 2005 #4
    and the 4 color map problem, do its history background and how people prove in by computer first and later by hand,this should be fun
  6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    I did a quick check on Wolfram to see what that was and I get something about linear programming and optimization. However, I'm not sure what this means. Could you possibly give me an example of a problem that would require you to use the Simplex Method?

I think it would have been nice of me to mention that I only have a period (90 mins) to do whatever I can. And we have already done similar proofs when we did our proof section. But I'm just abit concerned that your suggestions are going to require alot more time than I am given.

I forgot to mention that. We actually did it when we were dealing with chromatic polynomials.

Thx for all the suggestions guys. Right now I'm making a list and I'm gonna start checking it twice :biggrin: .
  7. Jan 11, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

What ?! You proved Riemann, Goldbach, Collatz and FLT in your Grade-12 class ? :rofl:

Just kidding. Seriously, I don't think it'll take that much time to run through those things. I mean you're not going to dwell on each one, just give a flavour of each.

But the choice is yours, of course. :smile:
  8. Jan 11, 2005 #7
    Maximize [tex] p = 10x + 7y [/tex] subject to [tex] x\geq 0 , y \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex] x \leq 200 [/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?