Which Graduate Class Should I Choose for My Materials Science Interests?

• Thread starter chill_factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the choice between solid state physics and statistical mechanics is a difficult one for me as I am interested in experimental materials science. Both classes are at a graduate level and are relevant to my interests. The solid state class will focus on electromagnetic properties of materials and the stat mech class will cover basic thermodynamics and applications in materials science. However, it is recommended to take stat mech before solid state as it will likely be more beneficial in terms of PhD program applications.
chill_factor
next semester I have a choice between solid state physics and statistical mechanics. I will take the other class next year. My interests are in experimental materials science.

The solid state class will focus on electromagnetic properties of materials covering crystal structure and X-ray diffraction, Drude and Sommerfeld model, periodic lattices and band theory, lattice vibrations, experimental probes, semiconductors, dielectrics, magnetism.

The stat mech class will cover review of basic thermodynamics, classical gases, Bose statistics, Fermi statistics, interacting systems with cluster expansions, second quantization and intro to phase transitions. Applications include electrons in solids, phonons and magnetism.

Which one will be more beneficial to my interests?

I will also be applying to PhD programs in materials science and engineering, physical chemistry and chemical physics next fall, all in experimental fields. Which class would make myself more attractive to these PhD programs (they won't get to see the grade for the other class by the time I apply)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take stat mech before solid state, irrespective of how you think it will look. While it may not be a strict prerequisite, it will certainly help.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would take stat mech before solid state, irrespective of how you think it will look. While it may not be a strict prerequisite, it will certainly help.

these are both graduate level classes; I've already taken undergrad stat mech. Does that change anything?

What is a class selection question?

A class selection question is a question that asks a scientist to choose between different classes or categories for a particular variable or concept. It is often used in research studies or experiments to categorize data or participants.

Why is it important to carefully select classes for a study?

Selecting appropriate classes for a study is important because it can affect the accuracy and validity of the results. If the classes are not well-defined or are too broad, it may be difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from the data.

What are some factors to consider when choosing classes?

Some factors to consider when choosing classes include the purpose of the study, the nature of the data, and the research question. It is also important to consider potential confounding variables and to ensure that the classes are mutually exclusive and exhaustive.

Can classes be changed or modified after data collection?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change or modify the classes after data collection has begun. This can introduce bias and make it difficult to compare the results to previous studies. However, if there is a valid reason to modify the classes, it should be clearly documented and justified.

How can I ensure that my chosen classes are appropriate for my study?

To ensure that your chosen classes are appropriate, it is important to carefully review and justify your selections with relevant literature and experts in the field. Pilot testing and sensitivity analysis can also help to determine the appropriateness of the chosen classes.