1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classes for next semester

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    So, i'm just picking some classes for next semester.

What i have so far:

Math 300 - Fundemental Concepts of Math (proofs and stuff mostly it seems)
    Math 421- Complex variables (basically calc with complex variables..)
    Physics 181- Mechanics
    Theater 100- intro to theater
    Comp Lit 131-Brave New World

i'm debating whether to add Math 425 or CmpSci 121. Now, i'd rather take the math definetly, cause i love math, and if i could i'd take only math. but, i'm wondering if its wiser to take the cmpsci course. now, actually, i know its probably a little better to take the cmpsci course because people are worried i'll overload on math. so i guess i'm actually trying to see if i can take the math course anyway...

so math 425- Calculus of several variables, Jacobians, implicit functions, inverse functions; multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem. Prerequisites: MATH 233 and MATH 235 or 236.

do you think those 3 math classes would be too much? i'm not sure how hard any of them will be, or how much work they'll take. but mostly, the only schoolwork i do is math... so i think... think i can handle it. but ya...

Oh, also, the physics i'm hoping won't be a problem. cause i already took mechanics in highschool. I just didn't do so awesome on the AP. i think if i was taking physics for the first time, i wouldn't take the extra math... but i think since i've done it before... maybe it'd be ok?

Oh, i guess i should also mention i'm a freshman. i'll be a second semester freshman technically i guess. double major in math and astrophysics. obviously, i'm a bit more enthused about the math... i may drop the physics if i can graduate with the math degree significantly sooner. we'll see..
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    Take the extra calc course. It's basic stuff that you'll certainly need later on if you want to continue in physics.
  4. Jun 13, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's astrocr@p she wants to do,i guess.So maybe CompScience is more suited.

Unless she chooses mathematics and then Calculus should do the trick.

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I'd stick with a Math major - and later on take grad course on Numerical Methods for Astro stuff
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?