Is Taking 3 Math Classes and a Physics Class Too Much?

In summary, The person is deciding between taking Math 425 or CmpSci 121 as an additional course for next semester. They are leaning towards taking the math course, but are unsure if it would be too much workload. They are also considering dropping their astrophysics major for a math degree. Another person suggests taking the math course for future use in physics and recommends sticking with a math major for graduate courses in numerical methods for astrophysics.
Gale
So, I'm just picking some classes for next semester.

What i have so far:

Math 300 - Fundemental Concepts of Math (proofs and stuff mostly it seems)
Math 421- Complex variables (basically calc with complex variables..)
Physics 181- Mechanics
Theater 100- intro to theater
Comp Lit 131-Brave New World

i'm debating whether to add Math 425 or CmpSci 121. Now, i'd rather take the math definetly, cause i love math, and if i could i'd take only math. but, I'm wondering if its wiser to take the cmpsci course. now, actually, i know its probably a little better to take the cmpsci course because people are worried i'll overload on math. so i guess I'm actually trying to see if i can take the math course anyway...

so math 425- Calculus of several variables, Jacobians, implicit functions, inverse functions; multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem. Prerequisites: MATH 233 and MATH 235 or 236.

do you think those 3 math classes would be too much? I'm not sure how hard any of them will be, or how much work they'll take. but mostly, the only schoolwork i do is math... so i think... think i can handle it. but ya...

Oh, also, the physics I'm hoping won't be a problem. cause i already took mechanics in high school. I just didn't do so awesome on the AP. i think if i was taking physics for the first time, i wouldn't take the extra math... but i think since I've done it before... maybe it'd be ok?

Oh, i guess i should also mention I'm a freshman. i'll be a second semester freshman technically i guess. double major in math and astrophysics. obviously, I'm a bit more enthused about the math... i may drop the physics if i can graduate with the math degree significantly sooner. we'll see..

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the extra calc course. It's basic stuff that you'll certainly need later on if you want to continue in physics.

It's astrocr@p she wants to do,i guess.So maybe CompScience is more suited.

Unless she chooses mathematics and then Calculus should do the trick.

Daniel.

I'd stick with a Math major - and later on take grad course on Numerical Methods for Astro stuff

1. What classes are available for next semester?

The list of available classes for next semester can typically be found on your school's website or through your academic advisor. You can also check your school's course catalog for a comprehensive list of classes offered.

2. When can I register for classes for next semester?

The registration period for classes for next semester varies by school, but it is typically a few weeks before the start of the semester. Check your school's academic calendar or contact your academic advisor for specific dates.

3. How many classes should I take next semester?

The number of classes you should take next semester depends on your personal schedule and academic goals. It is important to consider your workload and any other commitments you may have outside of school when deciding on the number of classes to take.

4. Can I change my schedule after registering for classes?

Most schools allow students to make changes to their schedule after registering for classes. However, there may be specific deadlines and procedures in place for adding or dropping classes. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for guidance on making changes to your schedule.

5. How do I know if a class is full?

You can check the availability of a class by looking at the course listings on your school's website or through your student portal. If a class is full, you may be able to add yourself to a waitlist or contact the professor to see if any spots may open up.