1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classes of group

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##e = \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
    0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##,
    ##a =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
    -\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##.
    ##b =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
    \sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
    ##c= \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 0 \\[0.3em]
    0 & 1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
    ##d=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & \sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
    -\sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
    ##f=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & -\sqrt{3} \\[0.3em]
    \sqrt{3} & -1 \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}##
    Find classes of group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Classes are ##\{e\}##,##\{a,b,c\},\{d,f\}##.
    My problem is what is easiest way to find them? I think by watching characters. Am I right? ##\{e\}## is only element with character ##2##. Elements ##\{a,b,c\}## have character ##0##, and elements ##\{d,f\}## have character ##-1##. What is the other way to search this classes?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Classes means conjugacy classes, right? And what you are calling a 'character' I would call a 'trace', but ok. But, yes, that's a good clue. If two matrices don't have the same trace then they can't be conjugate. But they can be not conjugates and still have the same trace. So it's best to either check directly or rely on some other argument besides trace. And I think your matrix c has a factor of 1/2 that doesn't belong there.

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    Yes classes are conjugacy classes. In ##c## is mistake. Yes. You're right. But how you see that so fast that in ##c## ##\frac{1}{2}## is problem? Characters are traces of elements. Can you tell me some other way to find conjugacy classes?

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the definition of conjugate. a is conjugate to b if there is an element of the group g such that gag^(-1)=b. If you try to calculate c^2 it's pretty obvious the (1/2) doesn't belong there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted