1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Electrodynamics

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    The short version:I'm taking Classical electrodynamics this semester, I found out that I have this book:
    Classical Electrodynamics by J.D.Jackson
    Anyone know this book?Would it be a good choice to help me study?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, many folks have studied from this text... some with fond memories.. others, not so fond.
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    It's one of those texts that can be either good or bad, but you're probably stuck with it since it's so widely used.

From my experience with the text, I can safely say that it's not made for self-study. You will find yourself often looking to outside resources for clarification on certain derivations/concepts that Jackson omits. Also, some of the problems are very difficult (but that's what this forum is for, right? :biggrin:)
  5. Mar 26, 2007 #4
    I'm not really stuck with it, I just have it...
    It's not for self study, Like I said I just started taking the courses and saw that I have this Book..
    My late uncle was a science book collector, in his library there is a few thousand books raging from biology to particle physics(I don't know why he collected them)anyway they are all mine(stuff related to physics), I'll see if I find other books on the same subject..
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. Jul 25, 2007 #5
  7. Jul 25, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. if you are just starting to learn E&M, that book is not something you want to use. All the stuff you learn in undergraduate electrostatics is compressed into Jackson's Introduction! So it is not a good book to start learning E&M from. Jackson's book tends to be used in graduate level E&M courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?