Understanding the Classical Euclidean Action in Quantum Field Theory

In summary: Also, it would be helpful to get a good book on classical mechanics. In summary, the conversation revolved around the Euclidean classical action and the need for further context to fully understand its implications. It was recommended to study quantum field theory and classical mechanics to gain a better understanding of this topic.
spaghetti3451
This is the Euclidean classical action ##S_{cl}[\phi]=\int d^{4}x\ (\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}+U(\phi))##.

It would be nice if somebody could explain the structure of the potential.

I don't understand why ##\phi## is used instead of a position vector ##\textbf{r}##. Also, how can ##(\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}## be interpreted as the kinetic energy of the particle? I have integrated the Lagrangian over three spatial coordinates before, but why can the temporal coordinate be integrated over in this expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
This is the Euclidean classical action

For what? We need some more context to understand what you are trying to do here.

failexam said:
It would be nice if somebody could explain the structure of the potential.

To do that we would need more information than just ##U(\phi)##. ##U## could be anything.

failexam said:
I don't understand why ##\phi## is used instead of a position vector ##\textbf{r}##. Also, how can ##(\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}## be interpreted as the kinetic energy of the particle? I have integrated the Lagrangian over three spatial coordinates before, but why can the temporal coordinate be integrated over in this expression?

Apart from what Peter said, in what you have written down, ##\phi## is a scalar field and ##S## is the action of that field. The field takes a value in each point in space so this is the basics of field theory. If you instead had a single classical particle moving, you would have a different action and the space integral would not be there. You would instead have a time integral only and some function of the particle coordinates and velocity.

I am new to this kind of integral and the so-called Euclidean classical action. I was wondering what branch of physics I should learn about to become familiar with this concept and any textbooks or online resources (lecture notes, videos, etc.) you might suggest for that purpose.

failexam said:
I am new to this kind of integral and the so-called Euclidean classical action.

Where did you encounter it? It's the sort of thing I would expect to see in quantum field theory.

I read it in a paper, actually.

I have seen classical field theories being covered in standard quantum field theory courses, so I guess I'll have to learn that topic to become familiar with what's being discussed.

failexam said:
I read it in a paper, actually.

Can you give a link?

failexam said:
I have seen classical field theories being covered in standard quantum field theory courses

Yes, that is usually done, since classical field theories provide the Lagrangians for most quantum field theories.

Here's the link: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0511156

It would be really helpful if you could provide some reading materials for me to fully understand the Section I of the paper.

My background is that I am a fourth-year undergraduate student, and I have done courses only in Quantum Mechanics (Griffiths), Classical Mechanics (Marion and Thornton), Statistical Mechanics (Blundell). I have not studied Classical Mechanics (Goldstein) or Quantum Field Theory (Peskin and Schroeder).

failexam said:
I have not studied ... Quantum Field Theory (Peskin and Schroeder).

Then I would definitely study it; it looks like that's the main background you need.

What is the Classical Euclidean Action?

The Classical Euclidean Action is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the motion of particles or systems in space. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that nature tends to take the path of least resistance.

What is the relationship between Classical Euclidean Action and classical mechanics?

Classical Euclidean Action is closely related to classical mechanics, as it is used to describe the motion of particles or systems in space. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to derive equations of motion for various physical systems.

How is Classical Euclidean Action used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Classical Euclidean Action is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for a particle to move from one point to another. It is also used to derive the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

What is the difference between Classical Euclidean Action and Quantum Euclidean Action?

Classical Euclidean Action is used in classical mechanics, while Quantum Euclidean Action is used in quantum mechanics. The main difference between the two is that Classical Euclidean Action describes the motion of particles in a deterministic manner, while Quantum Euclidean Action takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

What are some real-world applications of Classical Euclidean Action?

Classical Euclidean Action has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and even economics. It is used to study the dynamics of systems such as pendulums, celestial bodies, and even financial markets. It is also used in the development of control systems for various technologies, such as robotics and aerospace engineering.