Classical Field Theory Books: Suggestions for 2nd Chapter

In summary, there are several recommended books for studying classical field theory, including Itzykson & Zuber, Ryder, A. O Barut's book, and "Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifgarbagez. Additionally, lectures by Leonard Susskind on special relativity also cover classical field theory material. It is suggested to start with the more basic material for better understanding.
physiker_192
Hello folks,

I would like to know more about the standard books in Classical Field Theory which I am not really familiar with.

I would be grateful if you suggest something (be it a book/lecture notes etc...) in line with the 2nd chapter of the following lecture notes:

http://users.physik.tu-muenchen.de/jmadrone/vorlesungen/W0910/overview-qm2.pdf

The more basic the material is the better.

cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of QFT books cover this material. Itzykson & Zuber and Ryder, for example. Ryder is very readable.

For strictly classical field theory, A. O Barut's book is still one of the best.

Also, you can download Leonard Susskind's lectures from iTunes. These are labeled as lectures on Special Relativity, but they are really mostly about classical field theory.

http://www.subplanck.com/self-study...e-by-dr-leonard-susskind-stanford-university/

Not that basic but I feel I must Mention the "Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifgarbagez. According to the authors you just need general physics and vector calc to read it. Very well regarded book might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I will follow Itzykson & Zuber since I have a copy of the book (I didn't go through its contents in detail previously or even its table of contents, it really contains lots of topics).

cheers,

As a fellow scientist, I would be happy to provide some suggestions for the second chapter of classical field theory books. The lecture notes you have provided seem to cover a broad overview of quantum mechanics, so I would recommend looking for books that delve deeper into specific topics within classical field theory.

One book that I would recommend is "Classical Field Theory" by Francis E. Low. This book covers topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity, which are all essential for understanding classical field theory. It also includes exercises and examples to help solidify your understanding of the material.

Another book that may be helpful is "Classical Field Theory: On Electrodynamics, Non-Abelian Gauge Theories, and Gravitation" by Walter Greiner. This book covers a wide range of topics in classical field theory, including the basics of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It also includes discussions on non-Abelian gauge theories, which are important for modern theories such as the Standard Model.

For a more basic introduction to classical field theory, I would recommend "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. This book covers the fundamentals of classical electromagnetism, including Maxwell's equations and electromagnetic waves. It also includes exercises and problems to help you apply the concepts you have learned.

Overall, my suggestion would be to explore different books and find one that suits your specific needs and interests. Classical field theory is a vast and complex subject, so it's important to find a resource that you feel comfortable with and can learn from effectively. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is classical field theory?

Classical field theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fields, which are continuous quantities that exist in space and time. These fields can describe physical phenomena such as electromagnetic waves, gravitational fields, and quantum fields.

2. Why is the 2nd chapter important in classical field theory books?

The 2nd chapter in classical field theory books typically covers the mathematical foundations and equations used to describe fields. This is crucial for understanding the principles and applications of classical field theory, making it an essential chapter for readers.

3. What topics are usually covered in the 2nd chapter of classical field theory books?

The 2nd chapter of classical field theory books often covers topics such as vector calculus, partial differential equations, and the principles of classical mechanics. These topics provide the necessary mathematical background for studying fields and their behavior.

4. What are some recommended classical field theory books for the 2nd chapter?

Some popular classical field theory books for the 2nd chapter include "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Classical Field Theory" by Frank Wilczek and David Gross, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. These books are widely used in universities and are highly recommended by experts in the field.

5. Are there any online resources for the 2nd chapter of classical field theory books?

Yes, there are many online resources available for the 2nd chapter of classical field theory books. Some popular options include lecture notes, video lectures, and online tutorials. Additionally, many textbooks also have companion websites that offer supplementary materials and resources for self-study.