What is the Structure of Classical General Relativity?

In summary, this paper is a survey of classical general relativity theory, with a focus on some of the more obscure or less well-known aspects. I think there may be some interesting insights buried in it, but I would recommend reading it with a more open mind in order to appreciate it fully.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0506/0506065.pdf

Title: Classical General Relativity
Authors: David B. Malament
Comments: 59 pages; 7 figures; to appear in Handbook of the Philosophy of Physics, eds. J. Butterfield and J. Earman, Elsevier

This survey paper is divided into two parts. In the first (section 2), I give a brief account of the structure of classical relativity theory. In the second (section 3), I discuss three special topics: (i) the status of the relative simultaneity relation in the context of Minkowski spacetime; (ii) the "geometrized" version of Newtonian gravitation theory (also known as Newton-Cartan theory); and (iii) the possibility of recovering the global geometric structure of spacetime from its "causal structure"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you,a very useful lecture,indeed.I don't have time right now to get through the calculations,so i'll let others share their comments.

Daniel.

wolram said:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0506/0506065.pdf

Title: Classical General Relativity
Authors: David B. Malament
Comments: 59 pages; 7 figures; to appear in Handbook of the Philosophy of Physics, eds. J. Butterfield and J. Earman, Elsevier

I think there may be some interesting insights buried in this paper, but reading it I feel like I'm being tied up in fibre bundles (note: that's a bad pun, not to be taken too literally).

Last edited by a moderator:
The notation is similar to Wald's notation.

Here are some of the good parts IMO (not usually found in standard treatments):

2.3 Space/Time Decomposition at a Point and Particle Dynamics shows how to calculate using 4-vector quantities.
2.5 Einstein’s Equation and 3.2 Geometrized Newtonian Gravitation Theory discusses a spacetime formulation of Newtonian Gravity
3.1 Relative Simultaneity in Minkowski Spacetime discusses the "definition of simultaneity"
3.3 Recovering Global Geometric Structure from “Causal Structure” may play an important role in recovering spacetime structure from causal-structure-based attempts to quantum gravity.

If you google the author, you'll find some more detailed course notes.

1. What is classical general relativity?

Classical general relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915 that describes the force of gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does classical general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Classical general relativity is a more comprehensive and accurate theory of gravity than Newton's theory. While Newton's theory describes gravity as a force between masses, classical general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.

3. What is the significance of the cosmological constant in classical general relativity?

The cosmological constant was initially introduced by Einstein in his theory to account for a static universe. However, it was later found to be unnecessary and was removed from the theory. The cosmological constant was later reintroduced to explain the observed expansion of the universe.

4. Can classical general relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, classical general relativity has been tested and proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the bending of starlight by the sun's gravitational field, which was predicted by the theory and later confirmed by observations during a solar eclipse.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations of classical general relativity?

Despite its success in explaining many phenomena, classical general relativity has some limitations. It does not yet fully incorporate quantum mechanics, and it cannot explain the behavior of gravity at the smallest scales, such as inside a black hole. There is ongoing research and efforts to develop a unified theory that combines classical general relativity and quantum mechanics.