Classical Ideal Gas: Pathria's Insight on Non-Interacting Particles

In summary: They would both reduce to the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:\overline{n}_{i} = \exp\left(\frac{\mu - \varepsilon_{i}}{T}\right)The left hand side is a monotonically increasing function of energy. So, it has a lower bound for the lowest possible energy of the particles. We may take this to be zero. Then, we still have to satisfy the condition:\exp\left(-\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \gg 1 \Leftrightarrow \exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \ll 1The chemical potential needs to be negative and equal several times the temperature by magnitude for this equality to be satisfied
rbwang1225
In the book of Pathria(p.16), he mentioned that If (i) the mutual interactions among particles are negligible and (ii) the wave packets of individual particles do not significantly overlap, then there does not exist any spatial correlations among the particles in the system composed of non-interacting particles.

I don't really understand the second statement.

Can anyone interpret it more clearly? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
rbwang1225 said:
In the book of Pathria(p.16), he mentioned that If (i) the mutual interactions among particles are negligible and (ii) the wave packets of individual particles do not significantly overlap, then there does not exist any spatial correlations among the particles in the system composed of non-interacting particles.

I don't really understand the second statement.

Can anyone interpret it more clearly? Thanks in advance.
I could be wrong but I think it is a fancy way of saying that the particles do not have a moment of inertia. This would mean that the particles cannot acquire internal energy. Perhaps others will comment.

AM

No, the second statement means that the gas is not degenerate so that you have to apply quantum statistics and the classical statistics works well.

In my own point of view, I think the 2nd statement is saying that the probability of finding the particles at the same place is small, which is to say the wavefunctions do not overlap significantly. But I am not sure, can anybody comment on it more clearly?

Wave functions overlapping does not necessarily mean that they are at the same position. Consider plane waves. They would overlap if their wave vectors have approximately equal values, which would mean that their momenta are approximately the same. But, a plane wave is extended throughout the whole volume, so you cannot say the particles are nearby.

You should not ascribe too much weight to their 'condition'. It simply comes from the math. Namely, consider Fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein distribution:

[tex]
\overline{n}_{i} = \frac{1}{\exp\left(\frac{\varepsilon_{i} - \mu}{T}\right) \pm 1}
[/tex]

They would both reduce to the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

[tex]
\overline{n}_{i} = \exp\left(\frac{\mu - \varepsilon_{i}}{T}\right)
[/tex]

when:

[tex]
\exp\left(\frac{\varepsilon_{i} - \mu}{T}\right) \gg 1
[/tex]

The left hand side is a monotonically increasing function of energy. So, it has a lower bound for the lowest possible energy of the particles. We may take this to be zero. Then, we still have to satisfy the condition:

[tex]
\exp\left(-\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \gg 1 \Leftrightarrow \exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \ll 1
[/tex]

The chemical potential needs to be negative and equal several times the temperature by magnitude for this inequality to be satisfied (because of the exponential). The chemical potential is fixed essentially by the density of particles. Let us evaluate it for a free ideal gas under the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution: Then, the plane waves are energy eigenstates:

[tex]
N = \sum_{i}{\overline{n}_{i}} = \sum_{\mathbf{k}}{\exp\left(\frac{\mu - \varepsilon_{k}}{T}\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
N = \exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \, \sum_{\mathbf{k}}{\exp\left(-\frac{\hbar^{2} k^{2}}{2 m T}\right)}
[/tex]

Going over from summation to integration with respect to [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex] according to the well-known rule:

[tex]
\sum_{\mathbf{k}}{f_{\mathbf{k}}} = V \, \int{\frac{d^{3} k}{(2\pi)^{3}} f(\mathbf{k})}
[/tex]

we get:

[tex]
N = V \, \exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \, \frac{4\pi}{(2\pi)^{3}} \, \int_{0}^{\infty}{k^{2} \, \exp\left(-\frac{\hbar^{2} k^{2}}{2 m T}\right) \, dk}
[/tex]

The integral can be made dimensionless by introducing:

[tex]
x \equiv \frac{\hbar^{2} k^{2}}{2 m T} \Rightarrow k = \frac{(2 m T x)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{\hbar}, \; dx = \frac{(2 m T)^{\frac{1}{2}} \, x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}{2 \hbar} \. dx
[/tex]

[tex]
N = V \, \exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) \, \frac{1}{2\pi^{2}} \, \frac{(2 m T)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{2 \hbar^{3}} \, \int_{0}^{\infty}{x^{\frac{1}{2}} \, e^{-x} \, dx}
[/tex]

The value of the integral is [itex]\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) = \pi^{1/2}/2[/tex] and we can identify [itex]n \equiv N/V[/itex]. Then, we get for the chemical potential:

[tex]
\exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) = n \, \left(\frac{2 \pi \hbar^{2}}{m T}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} \ll 1
[/tex]

We identify:

[tex]
\lambda_{T} = \left(\frac{2 \pi \hbar^{2}}{m T}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2 \pi m T}}
[/tex]

as the thermal De Broglie wavelength and [itex]r = n^{-1/3}[/tex] as the average interparticle distance. Then, the above condition can be written as:

[tex]
\exp\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) = \left(\frac{\lambda_{T}}{r}\right)^{3} \ll 1 \Leftrightarrow \lambda_{T} \ll r
[/tex]

, i.e. we can use classical statistics (the gas is non-degenerate) if the thermal De Broglie wavelength is much smaller than the average inter particle distance. I guess this is why they interpret it as their wavefunctions (whose wavelengths are of the order of [itex]\lambda_{T}[/itex]) should not 'overlap'.

Last edited:
\overline{n}_{i} = \frac{1}{\exp\left(\frac{\varepsilon_{i} - \mu}{T}\right) \pm 1}

1. What is the Classical Ideal Gas Model?

The Classical Ideal Gas Model is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of a gas at the macroscopic level. It assumes that the gas is made up of a large number of non-interacting particles that are constantly moving in random directions and colliding with each other and the walls of the container. This model is based on the assumptions of the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are all related.

2. What is Pathria's Insight on Non-Interacting Particles in the Classical Ideal Gas Model?

Pathria's Insight on Non-Interacting Particles is a powerful concept in the Classical Ideal Gas Model. It states that even though the gas particles are constantly colliding with each other, they do not interact with each other in any other way. This means that the particles do not exert any forces on each other, and the total energy of the system remains constant. This insight allows for simplified calculations and a better understanding of the behavior of ideal gases.

3. How does the Classical Ideal Gas Model differ from the Real Gas Model?

The Classical Ideal Gas Model assumes that the gas particles are point masses with no volume and no interactions with each other. In reality, gas particles do have volume and they do interact with each other through intermolecular forces. This means that the ideal gas law is only an approximation and does not fully capture the behavior of real gases. However, the Classical Ideal Gas Model is still useful for understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in many situations.

4. What are the limitations of the Classical Ideal Gas Model?

The Classical Ideal Gas Model has several limitations. It assumes that the gas particles are point masses with no volume, which is not true for real gases. It also does not take into account intermolecular forces, which can significantly affect the behavior of real gases at high pressures or low temperatures. Additionally, the model assumes that all collisions between particles and with the walls of the container are perfectly elastic, which is not always the case in reality.

5. How is the Classical Ideal Gas Model used in scientific research and applications?

The Classical Ideal Gas Model is used in a wide range of scientific research and applications. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is often used to analyze and predict the behavior of gases in various systems, such as in chemical reactions or in engines. The model is also used in many engineering applications, such as in the design of gas pipelines and refrigeration systems. Additionally, the Classical Ideal Gas Model is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of real gases, even though it is an approximation.