1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Classical interacting gas

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    Hi! My question has to be with the equal a priori probabilities assumption in the microcanonical ensemble when we consider an interacting system, that is, particles interacting between them but no external work or heat is done over the system. Does this assumption still hold for such a system? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2
    Yes. If the system is in equilibrium, all microstates are equally probable, even for an interacting system.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    So, because the interactions don't depend on time, the hamiltonian must be a conserved quantity according to Noether's theorem, and the total energy is conserved or fixed. However, I would like to know more about how to define equilibrium for a system of many interacting particles. Is there any reference to look at this closer? Also, the ergodic assumption is of interest for me, in the case of an interacting system. If you assume the equal a priori probabilities, then for very long times, all states are visited regularly with the same frecuency. Is there any reference too to see how this works? Or any attempts to prove that that hav been made?

Thank you!

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4
    Several references on ergodicity in interacting systems. I just typed those words in google and got may pages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted