Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Limit of QFT?

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Is it meaningful to inquire about the classical limit of a quantum field theory? Specifically, is it possible to formally recover NRQM and RQM from quantum field theory? I am told this is a wrong/ill-posed question, so I wanted to get a clearer idea about it...after all, in a QM course, the classical limit of Schrodinger's equation is shown as the Hamilton Jacobi equation. Are there any analogues in QFT?

Sorry if this is a wrong question to ask, but in that case, I would appreciate being corrected. :-)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A relativistic quantum field theory is a specific theory of matter in the framework of relativistic quantum mechanics, so you don't need to "recover" relativistic QM. It's already a part of the theory.

The procedure to recover non-relativistic QM from relativistic QM is to replace the Poincaré group with the Galilei group. This can be done by taking the limit c→∞.

You should also be more careful about how you use the word "classical". I recommend that you only use it to mean "non-quantum" and never "non-relativistic". Now I'm confused about what you're asking.

4. Aug 17, 2009 #3

RUTA

Science Advisor

The classical limit is easy to obtain in the path integral formalism (A. Zee, Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, Princeton Univ Press, 2003), essentially it's just the Euler-Lagrange field equations for the Lagrangian density in your action (p 19). NRQM is just (0+1)-dimensional QFT (p 18). As Fredrik said, the action of QFT is already Lorentz invariant (p 17).

5. Aug 17, 2009 #4
    Thanks RUTA and Fredrik.

I'm sorry, I meant "non-relativistic"; that is why I asked if NRQM can be shown to be a special case of QFT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook