1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mech. prob.

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In each of the following, an order of magnitude estimate is required. Estimate

i) the gravitational energy of a 100kg satellite in low earth orbit, the velocity of the satellite, and the period of the orbit.

ii) the kinetic energy of a car travelling at 70mph and the power output of
    a car engine.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Solution:

i) U = GMm/r2, where r = radius of (low earth) orbit radius of earth = 6400 km and mass of earth = 6*1024 kg.

Plugging numbers gives U = 6.3*109 J.

Such a big number looks a bit odd. Is this a realistic number? (or am I worng somewhere?)

v = sqrt(GM/r), so v = 750 km/s.

Assuming a circular orbit, v = 2*pi*r/T, so the time period T = 52s. !!!!!!!!!

I think this means my velocity is wrong, which U is wrong, but where IS the mistake?

ii) 1 mile = 1.6 km.
    mass of (typical) train = 2000 kg.
    So, K = 0.5mv2 = 3.1*104 J.

I don't know how to work out the power.

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    You might have put wrong numbers somewhere i guess. I get v = ~7800 m/s. maybe you put value of r in your v equation in kilometers...
    About second, engine power output could have any value, one needs more information to tell power that just a speed. If there is frictional loss, then car could travel at those 70 mph forever with engine turned off.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Actually, I have to find the power output of a car engine without being given any values !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook