1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mech problems help

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know how to solves these, hints anything??? I was able to do #1,2 and got lost at 3 and without 3 I couldnt do 4 and then i couldnt do 5 :(
    PLease help

#3 in special relativity the dynamics are different. In particular, the momentum p is no longer mv. Failure to remeber this causes a lot of trouble. THe lagrangian of one dimensional speical relativity is
    L(x, x(dot))= -mc^2 (sqroot of (1-(xdot/c)^2)-V(x)
    where c is the speed of light. Use the definition of hte momentum p= partial derviatives of (L/xdot) to express the relativistic momentum in terms of velocity.

#4 use the lagrangian of #3 to find the hamiltonian of relativistic particle. Remember that H must be expressed as a function of p and x only. This hamiltonian is the energy of a relativistic particle.

#5 Use the hamiltonian of problem 4 and hamilton's equations of motion to express the velocity of a relativistic particle in terms of its momentum.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For #3, the best hint is to tell you to do exactly what the problem says: You are given L(x,xdot) so you can calculate L(x,xdot)/xdot. Now find the partial derivatives of that.
    #4: I presume you know how to form the Hamiltonian of a classical partical from the Lagrangian. As the problem says, be sure you use p instead of xdot. In classical mechanics, p is just mass times xdot but in relativity you will need the formula you get in #3. Write the Hamiltonian in terms of x and xdot, solve the formula you got in #3 for xdot as a function of p, and substitute.

#5: Put the Hamiltonian you got in #4 into Hamilton's equations and solve for the velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?