1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanic Problem

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, this is one the problem on my homework, but I don't know where t start with this problem. We have equation of a particle's potential energy field:
    U(r)=-GMm/r+Cm/r^2 C is just a constant. I need to solve for its radial motion and angular motion, then if the motion of the particle is elliptical, what will be the effect of the addtional 1/r^2 potential energy term? Any amount of help will be appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

U(r)=-GMm/r+Cm/r^2 C

3. The attempt at a solution

No attempt yet, don't quite know where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2014 #2
    The potential you have written down has a 1/r term and a 1/r^2 term. The first is the gravitational potential, and the second has the same effect as a centrifugal force, and will simply add to that term. The standard way of solving the equation of orbit involves a few tricks. First define u = 1/r. The rewrite d/dt in terms of some constant multiplied by an azimuthal derivative, say d/dθ. Finally use the Euler-Lagrange equation to identify constants of motion (hint: angular momentum is conserved, this will give you the azimuthal motion). Rewrite the radial equation of motion in terms of all these new variables. Now you have a standard differential equation for which the answer is know. I don't know if you're really expected to go through all this (it should be in your textbook) but the upshot of it all is that r(θ) = a/[1+εcos(θ)], where a is some constant, and ε is the eccentricity, both constants of integration determined by initial conditions. The magnitude of ε (whether it is between 0 and 1, or greater than 1) will determine if you have a bounded or unbounded orbit. This should get you started. I would strongly recommend reading up on this material in your textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted