1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics 3 Masses

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Three equal masses arranged in a equilateral triangle are connected by 'springs' with force constants 'k'

the coordinates of the masses are:

mass 1 at [0, [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2*L]
    mass 2 at [L/2, 0]
    mass 3 at [-L/2,0]

find the normal mode frequencies.

The only part i am having trouble with is setting up the potential energy i know what to do after I have the potential energy.

so far i have

U = 1/2 * k (x_2 - x_3)^2

i know there are more terms in the potential but i am having trouble projecting the deviations from equilibrium onto the diagonals.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

well, there's 6 degrees of freedom, so there are 6 normal modes. 2 are translations as a whole and 1 is rotation as a whole. there are 3 vibrational mode, one of which is the "breathing" mode, and then there are 2 others.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    neglecting all rotation what will the other terms of the potential be?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

[tex]
    U=\frac{k}{2}((\vec x^{(1)}-\vec x^{(2)})^2+(\vec x^{(1)}-\vec x ^{(3)})^2+(\vec x^{(2)}-\vec x^{(3)})^2)
    [/tex]

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    in your notation vector x 1 is the location of the first mass [x1,y1] , x 2 second mass [x2,y2],....

right?

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?