Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Classical Mechanics 3 Masses

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Three equal masses arranged in a equilateral triangle are connected by 'springs' with force constants 'k'

the coordinates of the masses are:

mass 1 at [0, [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2*L]
    mass 2 at [L/2, 0]
    mass 3 at [-L/2,0]

find the normal mode frequencies.

The only part i am having trouble with is setting up the potential energy i know what to do after I have the potential energy.

so far i have

U = 1/2 * k (x_2 - x_3)^2

i know there are more terms in the potential but i am having trouble projecting the deviations from equilibrium onto the diagonals.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

well, there's 6 degrees of freedom, so there are 6 normal modes. 2 are translations as a whole and 1 is rotation as a whole. there are 3 vibrational mode, one of which is the "breathing" mode, and then there are 2 others.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    neglecting all rotation what will the other terms of the potential be?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

[tex]
    U=\frac{k}{2}((\vec x^{(1)}-\vec x^{(2)})^2+(\vec x^{(1)}-\vec x ^{(3)})^2+(\vec x^{(2)}-\vec x^{(3)})^2)
    [/tex]

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    in your notation vector x 1 is the location of the first mass [x1,y1] , x 2 second mass [x2,y2],....

right?

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook