1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics - Block Friction Problem

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass [tex]M[/tex] is placed on a horizontal plane with kinetic friction coefficient equal to [tex]\mu[/tex]. A particle with mass [tex]m[/tex] and velocity [tex]\vec{v_0}[/tex] hits the block in a completely inelastic collision (i.e. the two bodies get stuck together). Knowing that the angle between [tex]\vec{v_0}[/tex] and the horizontal plane is [tex]\theta[/tex], calculate the final velocity of the block and the impulse between block and particle in the collision. (See attached picture).

2. Relevant equations

Impulse-momentum theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I really do not know where to start from, but if I had to guess I would use conservation of momentum on the horizontal and vertical axis to begin:

on the [tex]x[/tex] axis: [tex]m v_0 \cos \theta = (M+m)v_f + J_F[/tex]

on the [tex]y[/tex] axis: [tex]m v_0 \sin \theta = J_N[/tex]

where [tex]J_F \mbox{ and } J_N [/tex] are the impulses of the friction force and normal reaction respectively. Then I would need a third equation, maybe with energy conservation. Someone has a different approach or would like to make any suggestion?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted