1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics book

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    I'll take classical mechanics next semester and I want a book for this course. I choose two books but, unfortunately, I can buy only one, Kibble or Goldstein. I know Goldstein is going to be better but Kibble's book is much cheaper (17 pounds @ amazon.co.uk). Does Goldstein worth it? Could you suggest some other books?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2
    I am not familiar with the book by Kibble, but I do know the book by Goldstein. I studied from the Goldstein text many years ago and I found it to be an excellent resource, something I still consider as one of my fundamental references today. I recommend it. It is very hard to beat in my opinion.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3
    Kibble is undergraduate Text, Goldstein - gradute.
    If you feel adequately prepared go with Goldstein, otherwise buy Kibble. It is great to review Undergrad Classical Mechanics. Plus it as lots of very interesting problems.

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4
    Goldstein is an advanced-undergraduate book, not a graduate one. We've used Goldstein in our Analytical Mechanics course , in the 2nd year undergrad.
    In my opinion, Goldstein is one of the best (if not THE best) books on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?