1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics - degree of freedom & nonholonomic motion

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

Some points are not clear to me in classical mechanics. I would be grateful if any of you could make them clear.

1. "In general, if a system subject to r non-holonomic conditions has f degrees of freedom in finite motion, it has only f-r degrees of freedom in infinitesimal motion." [Arnold Sommerfeld, Mechanics, 1964, p50.]

** I searched and couldn't find any definition for finite and infinitesimal motion in that book. What do we understand if a motion is finite or infinitesimal so that the mentioned difference is proven? What is the theoretical basis of this statement?

2. I encountered a differentiation on degree of freedom (dof) in the Internet. "Controllable dof" and "effective dof". It is said that a car has 2 controllable dof, which are steering and driving, but 3 effective dof (some says "total dof"), which are x, y, and orientation. It seems that these definitions are relatively new in literature. I don't know where I can refer to. Considering the controllability in modern control theory, is there a mathematical explanation of this "controllable" word?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?