Classical Mechanics: Finding the centripetal force acting on an object that moves within a spiral orbit.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force as a function of radial coordinate for a particle moving in a logarithmic spiral orbit in polar coordinates. The homework equation is given, and there is a clarification about the dependence of the force on the particle's speed. The formula is then corrected and deemed correct.
cemtu
Homework Statement
In polar coordinates find the force as a function of radial coordinate F(r) that allows a particle to move in logarithmic spiral orbit r=k*e^(α*θ) , where k and a are constants.
Relevant Equations
## \frac{d^2}{dθ^2}(1/r)+1/r=(-μr^2)⋅F(r)/l^2 ##
I believe I solved this. Is this solution true? Can please anyone just check?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 17.43.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 17.43.12.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 181
Physics news on Phys.org
cemtu said:
Homework Statement:: In polar coordinates find the force as a function of radial coordinate F(r) that allows a particle to move in logarithmic spiral orbit r=k*e^(α*θ) , where k and a are constants.
Homework Equations:: ## \frac{d^2f}{dx^2}(1/r)+1/r=(-μr^2)⋅F(r)/l^2 ##

I believe I solved this. Is this solution true? Can please anyone just check?
The force must depend on the speed the particle is moving.

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
The force must depend on the speed the particle is moving.
what do you mean, sir? The formula(homework equation) is given like as I wrote up there.

cemtu said:
what do you mean, sir? The formula(homework equation) is given like as I wrote up there.

What is the force on an object moving in a circle? It depends on ##\dot \theta##.

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
What is the force on an object moving in a circle? It depends on ##\dot \theta##.
The formula has been corrected in the original post. Thank you!

cemtu said:
The formula has been corrected in the original post. Thank you!
It looks correct to me.

1. How is the centripetal force calculated in a spiral orbit?

The centripetal force in a spiral orbit is calculated using the equation Fc = mv^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the spiral orbit.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the centripetal force in a spiral orbit?

The magnitude of the centripetal force in a spiral orbit is affected by the mass of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of the orbit. As any of these factors increase, the centripetal force will also increase.

3. How does the direction of the centripetal force change in a spiral orbit?

The direction of the centripetal force in a spiral orbit is always directed towards the center of the orbit. However, as the object moves along the spiral, the direction of the force will constantly change in order to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. Can the centripetal force ever be greater than the gravitational force in a spiral orbit?

No, the centripetal force in a spiral orbit is always equal to the gravitational force acting on the object. This is because the gravitational force is what keeps the object in its orbit, and the centripetal force is what maintains the circular motion within the orbit.

5. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force in a spiral orbit?

Centripetal force is the inward force acting on an object in a spiral orbit, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on the object due to its inertia. In reality, centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a perceived force due to the object's tendency to continue moving in a straight line.