Solving a Physics Problem with Mathematica: Get Help Now!

In summary, a user is seeking help with a Mathematica code they wrote to solve a physics problem involving finding the trajectory of a ball launched from a given origin. They provide their attempt and ask for assistance in checking for any mistakes. Another user suggests simplifying the equations, which may result in a simpler solution.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Consider the situation demonstrated in the image below. A man standing a distance L away from the cliff throws a ball with speed v at an angle ϕ with the vertical. Height of the cliff is H and its slope makes an angle θ with the horizontal.

After laying down a suitable coordinate system

(a) Find the equation of the trajectory of the ball.
(b) Find the equation of the slope of the hill.
(c) Non-dimensionalize both the equations. How many free parameters are left in the problem?
(d) Construct a Manipulate command by varying all the free parameters in a suitable range. Play with parameters to find out in what cases you have ball land somewhere on the slope. What is the condition for which ball will hit the edge of the cliff (top of the cliff).
(e) Validate your observations in part (d) by doing algebraic calculations.
Relevant Equations
##y_{ball}=ax^2+bx+c##
##y_{cliff}=dx+e##
The question is

1583419886608.png

I have tried solving this problem several times over several days but each time the plot I get gets weird. Can someone please check what I did wrong?

My attempt is attached below (I did not non-dimensionalize it as I wanted to first check if my code works)

Attempt 1.jpg

Attempt 2.jpg

The Mathematica code I wrote is

Manipulate[Plot[{((-9.8 x^2)/(2 (v Sin [\[CapitalPhi]])^2)) + Cot[\[CapitalPhi]] x - ((9.8 L*x)/(v Sin [\[CapitalPhi]])^2) + h - ((9.8 L)^2)/(2 (v Sin [\[CapitalPhi]])^2) + L Cot[\[CapitalPhi]], -x Tan[\[CapitalTheta]] + H}, {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> {0, 20}], {v, 1, 10}, {\[CapitalPhi], 0.001, Pi/2}, {L,0, 10}, {h, 0, 10}, {H, 0, 10}, {\[CapitalTheta], 0, Pi/2}]

Please Help!

You can get the lecture notes here, which contains a similar solved example on page 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would find the equation of the trajectory of the ball with its launch point as the origin. That must be simplest. You can always change the origin afterwards.

It looks like that's what you have but you've expanded ##(x - L)^2## and ##(y-h)##. If you sort that out then your equation should simplify.

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar

What is Mathematica and how can it help with solving physics problems?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific calculations. It has built-in functions and algorithms that can help with solving complex physics problems, making it a valuable tool for scientists.

How do I get started with using Mathematica for physics problem solving?

To get started, you can download Mathematica onto your computer or use it online through the Wolfram Cloud. You can also find tutorials and resources online to help you learn the basics of using Mathematica for physics problem solving.

What types of physics problems can be solved with Mathematica?

Mathematica can be used to solve a wide range of physics problems, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It can also handle complex calculations involving multiple variables and equations.

Can Mathematica provide step-by-step solutions to physics problems?

Yes, Mathematica has a feature called "step-by-step solutions" that can show the detailed steps and calculations used to solve a physics problem. This can be helpful for understanding the problem-solving process and checking your work.

Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for physics problem solving?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool, it is not a replacement for understanding the underlying physics concepts. It is important to have a strong understanding of the principles and equations involved in a problem before using Mathematica to solve it. Additionally, some problems may require specialized knowledge or custom coding in Mathematica.