1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics problem

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle has a velocity u = -V0 i + V0 j and position (d,0) at t=0. At any time t its position in polar coordinates is (r,theta) and velocity V = V0 cos theta i + (V0-V0sin theta) j. At t =t, angular velocity of the particle at the origin will be -----------------

2. Relevant equations

angular velocity w = d(theta)/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

actually i didnt understand the question itself. why these two velocities are given.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The particle is moving in two dimensions.

There is vx = dx/dt and vy = dy/dt. Now if one writes x = r cos θ, and y = r sin θ, then try dx/dt and dy/dt, what is the result?

Also think about ω = dθ/dt, and θ = ωt + θo.

Is ω costant? Is u constant?

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    i feel that U is a constant as no variables appear in the expression for u. nothing is mentioned about w in the question. the answer should be v0(cos theta)/r.
    the radial velocity of the patricle about the origin should be -V0(1-sin theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook