How long does it take for a plane to come to a stop in an emergency landing?

In summary, a light plane weighing 2,500 lb makes an emergency landing on a short runway and drags a 250 lb sandbag along. The coefficient of friction between the sandbag and the runway is 0.4 and the plane's brakes provide an additional retarding force of 300 lb. To calculate the time it takes for the plane to come to a stop, the force of friction and additional retarding force are considered, and a differential equation is solved to find the final velocity and time. After solving, it is determined that the plane will take 23 seconds to come to a complete stop.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

This is a problem from K & K, but I changed it very slightly.

A light plane weighing 2,500 lb makes an emergency landing on a short runway. With its engine off, it lands on the runway at 120 ft/s. A hook on the plane snags a cable attached to a 250 lb sandbag and drags the sandbag along. If the coefficient of friction between the sandbag and the runway is 0.4, and if the plane's brakes give an additional retarding force of 300 lb, how long does it take for the plane to come to a stop?

Homework Equations

f = force of friction = mu * m * g

viscous force = -C * v, where C is some constant

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say that the positive x is positive direction. The acceleration of the sandbag and the plane is the same since they are connected by a cable. The force of friction is given by

f = mu * m_sandbag * g = - 3200 lb*ft/s^2

And the additional retarding force from the brakes is

f_v = - 300 v(t) lb*ft/s

So we have

- 3200 - 300 v(t) = m_total * a

or

-3200 - 300 v(t) = 2750 * dv/dt.

After I solved this differential equation and set v(t) = 0, I found that the time required for the plane to come to a stop is t = 23 seconds.

Does this look right? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think f_v has the wrong units.

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles and rigid bodies, under the influence of forces and energy.

What is a classical mechanics problem?

A classical mechanics problem is a specific situation or scenario that requires the application of principles and laws of classical mechanics to solve. These problems often involve determining the motion of objects and the forces acting on them.

What are some common examples of classical mechanics problems?

Some common examples of classical mechanics problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of a pendulum, and determining the forces involved in a collision between two objects.

What are the key principles and laws used in classical mechanics?

The key principles and laws used in classical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of momentum.

How can I approach solving a classical mechanics problem?

To solve a classical mechanics problem, it is important to first identify the relevant principles and laws that apply. Then, carefully analyze the given information and use equations and mathematical techniques to solve for the unknown variables. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.