Understanding Gravitational Time Dilation in Classical Mechanics

In summary, Homework Equations state that \hat e_t = 1 Understood that for cylindrical coordinates, \hat r = p\hat e_p+z\hat e_z Not understood (tex was first time too) Hi sirius0! :smile:The whole reason for my self study is in order to relearn SR and learn GR in an initial manner. The notation conventions and clear thinking were an issue so I turned back to classical mechanics. I have gotten distracted from this agenda on another forum and have been looking again at SR
sirius0

Homework Statement

I am self studying Chow's Classical Mechanics. I have realized that I am at my best if I leave no stone unturned

Homework Equations

[tex] \hat e_t . \hat e_t = 1 [/tex]
Understood

[tex] d(\hat e_t. \hat e_t)/dt =0[/tex]
Also understood

But [tex] 2\hat e_t .d\hat e_t/dt=0[/tex]
Not understood (tex was first time too)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sirius0! :smile:

(hmm … tex not bad :smile: … but you could use use \frac{}{} and \cdot :wink:)

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\hat e_t. \hat e_t)\ =\ 0[/tex]

Use the chain rule, then a.b = b.a:

[tex] \hat e_t \cdot\frac{d\hat e_t}{dt}\ +\ \frac{d\hat e_t}{dt} \cdot\hat e_t\ =\ 0[/tex] :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(hmm … tex not bad :smile: … but you could use use \frac{}{} and \cdot :wink:)

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\hat e_t. \hat e_t)\ =\ 0[/tex]

Use the chain rule, then a.b = b.a:

[tex] \hat e_t \cdot\frac{d\hat e_t}{dt}\ +\ \frac{d\hat e_t}{dt} \cdot\hat e_t\ =\ 0[/tex] :smile:
Oh thanks a good clue, explains where the two comes from! Pathetically I have to have a quick re-visit to the chain rule but at least I remember what it looked like and I think I can mop it up from here. Good tip on the tex too.

I am now up to pp 20 of Chow's book. I am puzzled as the text states for cylindrical coordinates that [tex]
\hat r =p\hat e_p +z\hat e_z
[/tex]. But I thought that any 3D coordinate system needed three dimensions. Should the above have been [tex]
\hat r =p\hat e_p +z\hat e_z+\phi e_
[/tex].

sirius0 said:
I am now up to pp 20 of Chow's book. I am puzzled as the text states for cylindrical coordinates that [tex]
\hat r =p\hat e_p +z\hat e_z
[/tex]. But I thought that any 3D coordinate system needed three dimensions. Should the above have been [tex]
\hat r =p\hat e_p +z\hat e_z+\phi e_
[/tex].

I don't have the same book, but I assume that [itex]\hat{\bold{e}}_p[/itex] is two-dimensional and variable (just as [itex]\hat{\bold{r}}[/itex] is three-dimensional :wink:), and that only [itex]\hat{\bold{e}}_z[/itex] is fixed. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

I don't have the same book, but I assume that [itex]\hat{\bold{e}}_p[/itex] is two-dimensional and variable (just as [itex]\hat{\bold{r}}[/itex] is three-dimensional :wink:), and that only [itex]\hat{\bold{e}}_z[/itex] is fixed. :smile:
Understood progressing well for now...
Thank you.

The whole reason for my self study is in order to relearn SR and learn GR in an initial manner. The notation conventions and clear thinking were an issue so I turned back to classical mechanics. I have gotten distracted from this agenda on another forum and have been looking again at SR. I have a long path ahead WRT GR, tensors Riemann groups etc.
But as a result of the distraction I made an assumption regarding time dilation and gravity.
This is what I came up with using SR. Is it familiar or even right I wonder? Am I bordering on to GR via SR?

[tex] \Delta t \sqrt{\frac{GM}{rC^2}+1} = \Delta t' [/tex]

Just had a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation" . There is something of a resemblance but I don't appear to be right. However there must be something to be learned from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and deals with the motion of objects at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's three laws of motion, the conservation of energy, and the principle of least action. These principles form the basis for understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

4. How is classical mechanics used in everyday life?

Classical mechanics is used in a wide range of everyday applications, such as building structures, designing vehicles and machines, predicting the movement of celestial bodies, and understanding the mechanics of sports and games.

5. What are some famous experiments in classical mechanics?

Some famous experiments in classical mechanics include Galileo's inclined plane experiment, Newton's apple falling experiment, and Cavendish's experiment to measure the gravitational constant. These experiments helped to establish the principles and laws of classical mechanics.